I have a DSO quad which I am pretty happy with, but would like to explore some of the software upgrades available. The problem is information regarding various upgrades is scattered throughout the forums and wiki, and to avoid having to read through 20 pages of forums I would appreciate if a few of my questions can be answered. I think having all these questions in one place could also benefit any other newcomers like me who are struggling to find comprehensive information in one spot.
The start-up screen for my DSO shows the following info:
Hardware Ver V2.70 Serial No: C0CEC171
DS203 Mini DSO SYS Ver 1.52
DS203 Mini DSO APP (PLUS A1) Ver 1.03
Reload parameter form disk
I made my purchase on Dec 15, 2013.
From my understanding, the following pieces of software are present on the device:
- Firmware (boot-loader…is this what the SYS file is?)[/]
Application (what’s normally running when you’re using the scope)
- FPGA Configuration file (Not sure how this is accessed)
I found the following list of user applications:
seeedstudio.com/wiki/DSO_Qua … plications
And additionally the stickied thread at the top of this sub-forum (the GCC “community” app) viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2957
Here are my questions:
- Is my understand so far correct?
- Are these the most recent apps available?
- The code on the github repo from the original designers (on the seeed-studio github…I can’t link because I’m a new user) contains APP V2.32, V2.35, V2.51…are these much newer than mine (Ver 1.52)? Why did my unit not ship with the latest app? Or is this something else? Can I safely use these apps?
- Will the community app work with hardware version 2.7? It says it requires “SYS 1.50 1.6” and gives a link to the HEX file, but no additional information about that HEX file is given. From looking at the schematics, there are no hardware changes from V2.6 and V2.7 that would affect the firmware.
- I have learned that there are up to 3 “slots” for applications to be stored (accessed by holding down the different buttons while powering the unit on). This wasn’t really mentioned on the wiki. My question: if you’re uploading a new application how do you choose which “slot” it will be stored in? If you choose one with existing software, will it overwrite it? Also, I saw mentioned somewhere that some apps use two “slots”. Is this correct?
- I would also like to mention that my quest for better software started when I realized the single-shot (SINGL) and normal (NORM) triggering modes are very buggy with the stock APP (almost useless). Does anyone know which APPs have a well functioning single-shot and normal triggering modes?
Sorry for the many questions, but I’m having trouble finding good information.