Quectel EM120R-GL invisible to Odyssey J4105 / 5G modem recommendations?

Hi folks :wave:

I have a Odyssey J4105 and I recently added a Quectel EM120R-GL 4G LTE modem, however I am unable to see this device in either Windows or Linux (Ubuntu) operating systems. Even after a full BIOS reset.

It’s expected that the EM120R-GL may be locked (thanks Lenovo), but even then, the device should be visible to the operating system with lspci or lsusb or Windows Device Manager but it is not.

Can anyone advise on how to fix this? Or alternatively, recommend a suitable 5G modem for the Odyssey? (preferably 2 antenna and Europe compatible).

Hi there,
So I don’t have a solid recommends on a 5G but that’s a secure boot 4G version. not going to work in a J4105. AFAIK. it’s an esim variety :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: too so a third party software is needed to configure it also If I’m not mistaken. also there’s that being locked thing , ewwe… :face_with_peeking_eye:

I don’t think it shows up unless in a secure boot Bios…or hardware sock. YMMV :v:

Hi @PJ_Glasso , thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yeah I realised it after the fact, there are ways to unlock them but it still requires visibility to the underlying system.

In which case, open question to the audience, anyone able to recommend a 5G (or 4G) modem that works in Europe with these things? :slight_smile:

Currently Odyssey’s mini pcie is only made to adapt regarding 4G modules and Lora modules. If I had to recommend a 4G module, I’d recommend the EC20, but I don’t know if it’s suitable for Europe :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Posting an update here:

I returned the Quectel EM120R-GL and got a full refund, I then bought the following cards to test:

• Quectel EM06-E (2x2, 4G LTE) = No surprise this works perfectly, it’s mentioned by Seeed in the Wiki
  • Quectel RM520N-GL (2x2 and 4x4, 5G / 4G LTE) = Also works perfectly, this surprised me :blush:

I will be leaving the RM520N-GL installed, but it needs an adapter to extend it to 2280 length, it’s too long for the Odyssey’s 2242 slot, I think it’s a 2252 card.

Oh well, this can be marked as resolved I guess, although please comment folks if you know of other cards that work :+1:

3 Likes