Problem with GPRS shield (no communication at all)

Hi all,
I have/had the same problem with my GPRS shield (no answer on Rx).

• Using GPRS Shield with Stalker v2
  • OK_READ Jumper on my Stalker is dismounted
  • Both Jumpers are on “SWSerial” mode
  • I haven’t done any firmware updates
  • Red status LED on, Net flashing every 3 secs
  • NewSoftSerial v10c

My workaround in detail:

• Modify the Code from seeedstudio.com/wiki/GPRS_Shield#Support (section “Usage”-Step1 - 7.)
    -> Paste following into the loop section “mySerial.print(“AT”);”
    -> Upload this code into your arduino
  • If I connect via terminal (19200 8-N-1), I can see the GPRS Shield answers (wait a few seconds)
  • Then modify the code back by deleting the line “mySer…” and upload the code again
  • Make sure you don’t turn the gprs shield or the arduino off during the whole process
  • Voila, if I then connect again via Terminal the GPRS Shield answers on all AT commands
    BUT:
  • If I turn the GPRS Shield (or the Arduino) off and on again and connect via terminal afterwards, I don’t get any answer from the GPRS Shield again

Maybe someone from the seeed team has an idea why the GPRS shield is behaving like this?!

Thanks

I believe that tannek is right and there are some bad soldering with Q3 and Q5 (maybe bad lot?), so I tried to resolder Q3 and Q5. They are very small and it seems that I killed them with heat. Power led is working status and net light blinking at start, but still no response via terminal. Any ideas how I can test that I soldered Q3 and Q5 right or not right?

What are the numbers of Q3 and Q5 so I can change them with new?

Thank you,
Nick

I had the same problem with the softserial RX not responding.

in the end the fix was quite easy: increase the buffer size for newSoftSerial.

in NewSoftSerial.h on line 38 a constant for the RX buffer is defined:

#define _NewSS_MAX_RX_BUFF 256 // RX buffer size

default size is 64. this is not enough. I increased it to 256 and it worked.

cheers

I have an iComSat v1.0 Arduino shield from iteadstudio and I still can’t get it working properly.

SIM900 GSM/GPRS shield for Arduino - IComSat v1.0
IComsat is a GSM/GPRS shield for Arduino and based on the SIM900 Quad-band GSM/GPRS module. It is controlled via AT commands (GSM 07.07)

I bought the shield from:

iteadstudio.com/store/index.php? … cts_id=413

These are the problems that myself and many other people are experiencing:

arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic … #msg609237

I keep getting a problem:

system startup
no response

SMS ERROR
etc, etc

i have downloaded the SoftwareSerial i have added to folder “arduino-0022\libraries\NewSoftSerial” and i have restared the ide.

And i get this error
error: ‘NewSoftSerial’ does not name a type
for this line
NewSoftSerial mySerial(7, 8);

I have also tryied to use it with the new Arduino 1.0 ide and i get an error when i include the SoftwareSerial.h
in line
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>
error
C:\Projects\arduino\arduino-1.0\libraries\NewSoftSerial/NewSoftSerial.h:71: error: conflicting return type specified for ‘virtual void NewSoftSerial::write(uint8_t)’
C:\Projects\arduino\arduino-1.0\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/Print.h:48: error: overriding ‘virtual size_t Print::write(uint8_t)’

Any help?

I just closed everything, restarted my pc and it compiled.

Hello everyone;

I got the GPRS Shield some days ago, and I’ve just tried everything to communicate with it through serial. I do not have Arduino but I also bought the UartSbee V4,

1. I wired my Uartsbee pin RX with GPRS pin 7 (D7)RX, then UartSbee TX pin with GPRS pin 8 (D8)TX, my GPRS shield jumpers was as SWserial mode.
    then I fired up my terminal and my GPRS shield with 5 volts power supply and wait until Netlight started blink each 3 seconds and the status led was in red. In the terminal session I started with 19200-N-1 and I typed AT, without response, then I switch to 9600-N-1 and all the bauds available obviously with Carriage Return.

2. I tried to update the firmware of the Sim900 as jimbo.we suggested with simcom tool and I got exactly the same issues as guans screen shoots.

3. I could not in SWserial mode so I set the jumpers in Xduino mode and I wire my UartsBee pin RX with GPRS pin 0 (D0)TX, then UartSbee TX pin with GPRS pin 1 (D1)RX, I tried all baud rates XXXXX-N-1 carriage return, and again no response from my GPRS Shield.

4.Finally I reset the SIM 900 chip directly with low pulse (ground) in pin number 16, I was sure that now everything going to be fine but the GPRS behaivor was exactly the same

I spent about 9 hours trying everything to figure my issues out without success, I’m really upset and I do not know what were wrong I think my GPRS Shield is damage, or Do I miss something?

My other question I ’ m not sure is my SIM is unlocked, but anyway according to me, the GPRS should reply either if it does not have a SIM attached, I mean it wont send SMS message but at least the shield has to reply an AT command with OK.

please guys I’ll appreciate any advice, please I need your help I 'm feeling really frustrated.

thanks & best regards

Hello,

I have the same issue as you. I am going to try to increase the serial buffer from 64 to 256
as one of the previous posts stated. Did you try that yet?

Okay this is my 2nd GRPS shield(previous one was off ebay)
If the lights are full red , greeen flash 3s then it’s not your SIM issue.
From what I see here it’s probably some communication settings or harware issue
I set buffer for software serial 256 nothing
I can’t even update firmware…
Any updates, anyone?