possible to connect a GPS Bee kit to arduino without shield?

Hi, I would like to use my arduino uno board to get GPS data. I think the GPS Bee kit corresponds to what I need, but I would like to know if it was possible to connect it to my arduino board without using the XBee shield. (I would like to spare a little money, but I also would like to place the whole thing into an RC aircraft, so I need the least possible weight and current drain)
I did not find any documentation about it, so I hope someone could help me on this…

hey polchky,

As nobody recommends soldering the Xbee to something (Really, it would be a bad idea!), what you would need is a Breakout Board for that XBee Module. (This board would break out all 20 pins of the XBee to a 0.1" standard spacing dual row header. The spacing between 0.1" headers is 0.5" making it breadboard DIP friendly.)

But as you talked about RC aircrafts and “the least possible weight”, I would suggest buying an Arduino FIO or something similar. Another messier and more costly solution would be an Arduino Mini + the above mentioned Breakout Board.

Best of luck,
zws

Why do you not use this
seeedstudio.com/depot/grove- … th=144_145
in combination with this (solder long pinheader into the jack to make the cable compatible to arduino pinheaders)
seeedstudio.com/depot/grove- … th=178_179
?

Good ideas, schmron!

Polchky, just in case you already bought the GPS Bee, I just realized that he can also buy this UartSBee (http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/uartsbee-v4-p-688.html?cPath=109). I am not sure but I guess all the pins needed to send/receive info to/from an Arduino are present on the back.

All the best,
zws