Possible to bury Sensecap 2105?

Hello,

We use the Sensecap Sensor to measure soil humidity for our young street trees in town. I would like to know if it is possible to bury the sensor, as this would keep it out of sight and reduce the risk of vandalism.

Another option would be to place the sensor in a casing and then bury it.

I couldn’t find any indication in the documentation that suggests this shouldn’t be done.

Thank you.

Hi there,
I would think it may limit the distance, and makes the signal below the ground plane.?
my .02
GL :slight_smile: PJ
:v:
I would try it and used an aggregate like pebbles, would be better than Dirt… :grinning: :+1:

try a water meter box

or pvc sewer cleanout

or pvc yard drain

or fake rock cover

or birdhouse

1 Like

I would think you would want to use the long cord so you can place the unit on a pole or somewhere in the open view toward the sky and gateway

send pictures of your location

Get’s my Vote for sure, No-One wants to mess with a sewer drain “cleanout” :poop: put a sign or label on it to that effect to get only the nastiest of poachers to mess with it… LOL :+1:
Funny good Stuff man, LOL

1 Like

That is how we did it. The unit is mounted on a pole and the cord goes around the pole into the soil. For some areas it’s not the best way to do it because people tend to play around with the unit or do other stuff.
So if I bury a box or something similar together with the sensor you guys think it shouldn’t be a problem for the unit humidity wise or something else I don’t think about right now?

Thanks a lot so far. The fake rock and the birdhouse made my day.

Cheers

like you said… the two concerns are dirt may block wireless signals… and dirt may flood the device… device may get water into it thru rain and soil moisture

Hi there,
So I work with some installers of vandal proof Cameras systems on Occasion.
We use a BirdHouse and run the cable inside the pole and pop out just below grade with a cable.
You could do the same. It’s a Galvanized POLE so Harden Steel or Cobalt Drill bit would be required.
i.e.
Cobalt drill bits are used for drilling hard metal and steel. They dissipate heat quickly and are highly resistant to abrasions, making them better for drilling into hard metals than black oxide- or titanium-coated drill bits.
HTH

I thought when you said Cobalt you meant the manufacturer… like Black and Decker or something… What Da?

LOL, Haven’t seen them around in a long while…