PocketBeagle Grove Kit

Specific tutorials on how to use modules on the Pocket Beagle with the Grove Kit cape.
Topics to include which modules are plug and play and examples of connecting modules not included with the kit.

I am looking for tutorials on how to reverse engineer the software architecture. Is there a tutorial explaining how the drivers are installed and created? I can trace the python code back to compiled python but this doesn’t inform me of other related files and driver content, etc. I want to add controls for the 4 channel I2C relay board and the 2 channel relay board. The Grove Kit does not include examples of using GPIO ports as outputs. Looking for more detailed software tutorials

Hello, which product are you inquiring about? Can you tell me its SKU or purchase page? This will help you better.

Thank you for responding. the two relays were purchased from digi-key and have the following labels:

Grove 2-channel SPDT Relay

Seeed Studio MOB210331140

bar code 103020132

Grove 4-channel SPDT Relay

Seeed Studio MOA220506047

bar code 103020133

the bar codes line up with the sku codes

the 2 channel would use a GPIO connection configured as an output and the 4 channel uses the I2C interface. I’m assuming I need to download a driver to control these boards. I’m not clear on how to install the drivers either.

I also just purchased the Grove DHT22 temperature and humidity module.

Thanks for any assistance that you can offer.

Looking up the info surprised me that tonight it mentions there is a demo of these relays, but for the adrino.

The Grove python interface for the pocketbeagle appears to be much more complicated requiring compiling in a new driver that would overwrite existing drivers to configure ports as outputs. The grove kit has only an input example for GPIO’s. Then I would need instruction on how to restore the original drivers.

The 4 channel relay board uses the I2C bus. The example in the grove kit uses the I2C bus to control the accelerometer and most of the magic is again buried in a driver to access the bus.

I’m working on a remote home control and monitoring project. It feels like walking into a brick wall in trying to reverse engineer the software since I cannot find documentation on drivers or software architecture and are left hanging when I reach drivers or compiled python code.

It almost appears easier to start from scratch with only basic python port controls of the bare pocketbeagle.

thanks again for your support.

Larry Whitcomb

I came across an article that indicated that capes can be stacked. Does this apply to the pocket beagle as well? Having additional GPIO pins would be nice without losing the grove kit cape functionality, like the wifi which comes in really handy for stand alone IoT at home. Adding drivers vs. replacing them would be safer as well.

The experiments in the Grove kit that I purchased required upgrading and then downgrading the IoT build to match the hardware revision of my unit I guess. This was awkward and time consuming to resolve. thanks for assistance on that.

The Lesson - 2 has a note to run the ToneGenerator.py program to generate the .wav files for that project. I had trouble with subsequent lessons since the note wasn’t included in them. Since the lessons were broken up into separate work sessions and the Beagle was powered down between lessons to rewire the sensors, it was not apparent that the ToneGenerator.py was required to be run for the other lessons as well.

Lesson 4 - Download Music via the Wifi Dongle was useful to transfer files but I did have an issue transferring some files to wrong directory on the host.

Also retrieving wav files of music from the web resulted in errors indicating incompatible formatting issues. Does the speaker driver only support basic sinusoid wav files? Is there a converter to change mp3 files into wav files compatible with the software supporting the grove kit speaker?

Lesson 8 - Hello Kitt-Al - has an issue with the description of what snowboy is. After stumbling on a website that had a reference, the website listed seems to obsolete. I could not find a site to make the Ok_Beagle.pmdl file. The instructions were far too vague to make sense and there needs to be a new website that will support the file generation.

As a general review, I was disappointed with the difficulty in executing the “plug and play” aspects of the Grove kit. In addition I find the tutorials appear to be little more than a demo without the detailed explanation of how to find and build software support for other modules in the Grove product line. I would like to learn more about programming the PocketBeagle to have complete control over each module at a level that I could train others clearly.
Thank you for your support.

I checked and while I would love to help you improve the content of this course, I found that it is an official course made by beagle board and not by Seeed Studio, which is beyond the scope of what we can change …
The current Grove series support for Python is generally only available on the Raspberry Pi.

are the device drivers that support the speed grove modules created by BeagleBoard.org or by Seeed developers?

I found Octavo systems: Lesson 2: Linux Device Tree article informative and helps move me along in understanding the Beagle software structure.

1 Like

Can you please tell me the link to this driver, I will check it for you, thank you.

thank you, I’m new to the pocket beagle and I haven’t reviewed the whole process yet. I just found the links under TechLab for driver reference material. My anticipation now is to find either the adrino driver or the python driver for the rasberrypi and convert that info to the beagle. I don’t know yet where the drivers get sourced from.

read up on device tree. Expect to use LCD display a lot on the Grove kit. Initially the code calls to replace the bootup driver with the seeed-hd44780 driver. This requires an interactive response for the su password. This breaks an ssh execution of the program to run any program that would like to use the LED display by waiting for terminal input which doesn’t exist. I’m looking for the process to remake the default configuration to include the LED driver and flash a new SD card.
Also I have another device: the Temp/humidity sensor pro ver 1.3 that uses the I2C interface. I need to find the appropriate driver and how to run I2C0 channel to support this without dynamically replacing the driver.