Not booting after BIOS update on ODYSSEY X86J4105

Disable eMMC function it only affects “boot to BIOS” command in Linux OS.

I have sent it back… I also got a new one with eMMC and the update of EC and BIOS worked just fine

Any ideas then of which boxes are affected?

I just had the issue now. Turned the box on, the video was not on, turned the video on and the box stayed on the blue screen video.

I had to press the button to turn it off, unplug / plug the power and turn back on.

Any ideas of why this is happening?

Downloaded the Latest EC Firmware and Bios, then flashed them in order of EC and then BIOS (Reset to defaults before hand and followed the instructions about the EMMC), Flashed and it booted fine.

Fan is now slient and the CPU core temps haven’t even hit 50c yet so bravo Seeed Studio.
Which means i am no longer tied down to 8w TDP with no turbo with fans off on a PVE server running on the X86J4105

Nice to see you again. :smile:

1 Like

I have the same problem with my non emmc version. Just updated the bios as per the instructions, turned off by the switch, unplugged the cmos battery. Replaced cmos battery and plugged power back in and turned on, waited patiently for over an hour and nothing has happened. No video output, no flashing light on my ssd. I have read of many others with the same issue. Can anyone be of help with a solution or let me know of the procedure for returning the board for repair. Many thanks.

Hello @vinceb2002,

Can I know whether you bought this directly from Seeed Bazaar or a reseller? Your unit needs to be replaced.

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

I, too, am unfortunately unable to boot after I upgraded the BIOS on my non-EMMC X86J4106. I have removed the battery and power cable many times now, but there is no output on HDMI.
Is there anything else I can try to reset or repair my board?
Regards, Jules

Hi @Jules,

Did you wait for about 6 ~ 8 minutes after the upgrade as the wiki suggested?

Also, can I know whether you directly purchased this board from Seeed Bazaar or not?

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

Hi Lakshantha.
I have let the device boot for 60 min+ several times now, I have also left the device unplugged from battery and power for hours in between.
I purchased the X86J4105 from German reseller Distrelec.

So you removed the battery, waited for some minutes, put back the battery and power on the board right?

This will reset the BIOS

Yes, I have done that.

Unfortunately, no further tests can be done.

You might have to apply for a replacement unit from your reseller.

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

Hi there. I realize this is an old thread, its now July 2022.
I just updated one of my (ODYSSEY-X86J4105 without eMMC) and followed the instructions (multiple times, doing EC upgrade first). Silly me, I should have left it alone.
Now I have the same issue on the unit - wont boot. It ends on black screen with Curser on top left corner. I purchased from Amazon in Canada - Sold by / Vendu par SEEED DEVELOPMENT LIMITED in 2021

Just wondering if there are ideas on a possible fix yet? I love these units!
Rob

Please follow the procedure of BIOS reset, wait for a few minutes when resetting.