New reTerminal, powers up with blank screen

[quote=“glaeken, post:4, topic:259833”]
Subsequent attempts to boot have both PWR and SYS light illuminated, and the heat sink will again get very hot, so something is happening. No lights on the ETH port, even when connected to a network.

I’ve done some digging around to see if it might be the rpi or the host board that might be the issue. Even after imaging the eMMC (so we kind of know the CM4 still works), I still can’t get any output from the screen. I’ve attempted installing RISC OS and RaspberryPi OS (latest).

vegitbale

Dracaena Reflexa.

1 Like

Same issue here… New reTerminal successfully boots out of the box, goes through an initial setup process that includes: localization, setting up a new password, setting up the network (WiFi), and guides you to upgrade.

After reboot… Blank screen.

I was able to ssh in, needed to install git…

sudo apt install git-all

Download the drivers…

git clone --depth 1 https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/seeed-linux-dtoverlays

cd to the directory…

cd seeed-linux-dtoverlays

Rebuild the drivers…

sudo ./scripts/reTerminal.sh

And, and reboot…

sudo reboot

reTerminal screen came back, but it’s rotated -90 degrees and requires login…

Suggestions on how to correct the rotation, and re-allow auto login on the console?

1 Like

Looks like I started a long thread here.

Everyone good luck fixing this issue. I had hoped to use these on a product we’re rolling out. I ordered one and it is a complete disappointment. Shifting my initial 200 units to something that works from a company that cares.

Anyone who wants my brand new screen doesn’t work shitTerminal… $50 and its yours, message me.

Had same issue, and recommend fix worked. Not sure how something like this got pass QA testing?

Are you shipping products using the default distribution from the manufactures? Please don’t do this, this is how botnets are created. And don’t use the RPi standard image either. The reTerminal is about the hardware. You’re expected to re-spin / create your own distribution. Yes it’s a shame that this has happened, mine had the same issue and I just received it. So not been fixed in the last month. But I always planned to be using my own distribution that has been tailored for the customers requirements.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

We apologize for any inconvenience caused after updating the reTerminal for the very first time. There was a major problem of the LCD not working after doing an update through the initial configuration window. However, if you have checked the wiki carefully, I have mentioned under Step 9 inside Quick Start with reTerminal that you need to skip this step and update the reTerminal through command line separately. Otherwise, if you directly update from this configuration screen and reboot, all the drivers will not load again properly, causing the LCD to not work.

However, I understand that most people, when they buy the reTerminal, they just power on, and will go through the initial configuration screen just as they would with a Raspberry Pi without checking any manual.

So now we have fixed this bug from the Raspberry Pi OS factory image and you can find the latest images here. Please flash the OS using this wiki, and then you can update the reTerminal as usual.

Also, we will ship our latest reTerminals with this image already pre-installed. In that way, future customers will not face this issue.

We hope you understand this matter and hope to see you all doing great projects with reTerminal!

I welcome you all to join our Discord as well and ask any reTerminal related question in the cm4-related product channel. If you have questions for other Seeed products, you can choose a different channel.

1 Like

Thanks for the link to Jeff Geerling’s blog.

I did the same thing to my reTerminal when I first powered it on: tried to do the update before I saw the warning not to.

I used Jeff’s procedure to get usbboot to mount the eMMC and am now waiting for rpi-imager to flash /image_2021-09-14-Raspbian-reTerminal-arm64.zip

I’m excited to get into development on the reTerminal.

Hallo everyone,
I had the same problem with the screen black out, SSH and the RS232 connection did not work. Then I followed lakshan’s advice, downloaded the special images (32/64 bit version, see Question 2 of FAQ of the reTerminal Introduction web site) and wrote the 64 version to the eMMC. It worked and the screen is back now. Thank you!
Hobe

1 Like

I was able to get past the blank screen issue by re-imaging the reTerminal with the seeed image as described. However, now I’m unable to use the buttons, led, or buzzer in Python. It seems that these devices don’t exist as files in the linux filesystem. Whenever I try to utilize one of them, I get:

No such file or directory: '/sys/class/leds/usr_led2/brightness'

I checked the folder /sys/class/leds, and there is in fact no usr_led2 (or anything similar) present. Any ideas how to get these devices back?

Hello @ScottCLT,

Do you mean when you use the seeed-python-reterminal library?

Did you first test with “evtest” tool?

Also, please attach the output of “i2cdetect -y 1”. It will help me to check the issue further.

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I am trying to use the seeed-python-reterminal library.

I was unfamiliar with evtest, but I installed it and this is the output:

No device specified, trying to scan all of /dev/input/event*
Available devices:
/dev/input/event0:	Riitek Micro Keyboard Mouse
/dev/input/event1:	Riitek Micro Keyboard
/dev/input/event2:	seeed-tp
/dev/input/event3:	Riitek Micro Keyboard Consumer Control
/dev/input/event4:	vc4
/dev/input/event5:	ST LIS3LV02DL Accelerometer
/dev/input/event6:	vc4
Select the device event number [0-6]:

I did not see the device to test, so I did not proceed.

I also ran i2cdetect -y 1. Here is the output of that:

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
10: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- 
20: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- 
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 38 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
40: -- -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
50: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --                         

Sorry, I have no idea what I’m looking at in those results! :slight_smile:

Hello @ScottCLT,

Let me make it clear for you about the debugging.

From the i2cdetect command, we can check whether the drivers for the inbuilt hardware has been properly loaded:

i2cdetect -y 1

• 0x19 - accelerometer
  • 0x29 - light sensor
  • 0x38 - IO-extender - buzzer, LEDs and buttons
  • 0x45 - LCD

i2cdetect -y 3

• 0x51 - RTC
  • 0x60 - Encryption processor

However, if the drivers are loaded, you should see UU instead of the I2C address.

But in your output above, 0x38 is not loaded which means the drivers for buzzer, LEDs and buttons are not loaded. This is quite unusual.

Could you please reflash with the below image and try again?

Try the 32-bit at first.

Best Regards,
Lakshantha

1 Like

I bought one in November 2021 and it still has this problem.
Unfortunately the wiki instructions don’t work for me due to rpiboot issue: https://forums.raspberrypi.com/viewtopic.php?t=273995

Not sure where to go from here. Love the design. When can I safely buy one that works?

Hello @Paulware,

Can I know which operating system are you using on your computing to run the rpiboot tool?

Came here to say I’ve had the same experience:
Was working fine (didn’t let it do the updates during setup), I had setup SSH keys, connected to WiFi etc.
Decided to do the old “apt update && apt upgrade”, next time I rebooted (which was a while later so I didn’t realized that was the cause at first) the screen stayed blank and the SYS light stayed on.

Using the instructions linked above fixed the issue but I don’t expect to have to reinstall the display drivers every time I do an update. Definitely a disappointing user experience.

Hello @ollytheninja,

If you have flashed the 2021-09-14-Raspbian(modified) RPi OS, you don’t have to reinstall the display drivers after future updates. We have fixed it.

Why am I having this problem with the WIO Terminal (3 units no usable screen in the Arduino IDE but usable screen with circuit python). Is there a fix for this? I don’t want to convert my programs from C to CP.

See my earlier posts.
tomfitzphilly

Hello @tomfitzphilly,

This thread is about reTerminal. Please ask your question in a new thread,

Thank you.

It all works now, I just needed to run rpiboot then rpiImager.
I did need to load the seeedstudio .img https://files.seeedstudio.com/wiki/ReTerminal/RPiOS_Images/2021-06-02-Raspbian-reTerminal/image_2021-06-02-Raspbian-reTerminal.zip, and avoid any official update.

Does seeedstudio have a more recent .img available after 2021-06-02?

Hello @Paulware,

Please use our latest images (2021-09-14):

https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/reTerminal-FAQ/#q2-how-can-i-flash-raspberry-pi-os-which-is-originally-shipped-with-reterminal

Best Regards,
Lakshantha