New Rainbowduino problems

Just got a preassembled Rainbowduino. It got here in 2 days. Fantastic service!!! Thanks
Plugged into wall. Demo program runs fine. All LEDs work.
Plugged into computer Demo program runs fine. All LEDs work.
Comments:

1. read your caution about fragile pins on Acrylic box. Very careful to remove them. 3 of 4 pins broke anyway as soon as I tried to move them. I suggest you delete the “Push” instruction and just gently “Pull” the keys out by putting a small screw driver between the box and the key and gently prying it out. Can I buy some new pins or do I need to buy a new Acrylic box?

2)Your instructions at seeedstudio.com/wiki/Rainbow_Cube#Programming says “Download Rainbowduino v3.0 Library”. Link to Rainbowduino3.0_Library.zip is at seeedstudio.com/wiki/images/9/9f/Rainbowduino3.0_Library.zip. This installs 0022 IDE.

Your response to jacob@songlines.be on Feb 21, 2012 say to use Arduino 023 IDE. Where can I get this or is the 022 version ok? I’m running Windows XP SP3. Should I try the arduino-1.0-windows.zip file from arduino.cc?

1. Then you say "Open Cube1.pde sketch (a copy of it is reproduced below): " I watched your video at youtu.be/v44i73zmwA4. The lady says plug it in and load programs. Not quite this simple.

It appears that you also may need the Rainbowduino3.0_Library. This copies the rainbowduino.cpp,rainbowduino.h and example sketches but doesn’t put them in the correct folders. I moved the examples files to the “examples” folder so they showed up in the IDE Open menu function.

1. Then you say “Compile and upload the sketch”
    None of the example files will compile. Errors on all of them look like this:
    Cube2.cpp: In function ‘void setup()’:
    Cube2:10: error: ‘Rb’ was not declared in this scope
    Cube2.cpp: In function ‘void loop()’:
    Cube2:22: error: ‘Rb’ was not declared in this scope
    Cube2:31: error: ‘Rb’ was not declared in this scope

This would indicate that it can’t compile the #include <rainbowduino.h> file. Copied the .cpp and .h to libraries folder, root folder, etc. No luck. Can’t get verify/compile command to work on the example files.

1. Next I loaded the Rainbow_Plasma.pde example file. Verify/compile showed no errors. Tried to load it. No luck. More errors.

First windows tries to run the Found New Hardware Wizard for a FT232R USB UART. Do I ignore this or tell it where to find the driver(s)?

Selected both Dumilanove and Arduino Pro Pro Mini 5V/16MHz Atmega328 as suggested in the “Rainbowduino v3.0 and original firmware in it” post from Feb 1, 2012.

Port select function has Com3, Com5 and Com 6. Tried them all.

Upload errors every time and with all configurations:
Binary sketch size: 5780 bytes (of a 30720 byte maximum)
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

So, I can’t talk to the Rainbowduino either.

Sorry for all the questions. It still looks like a neat toy as soon as I can get it to work. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I tried to check all the forum threads, so maybe I missed something.

Thanks
Pete
pvandevisse@att.net

Hi, sorry for the inconvenience brought.

We don’t sell pins separately. But we can send some for free to you together with your next order.

Arduino 022 is ok, no necessary do other things for now.

1. Then you say "Open Cube1.pde sketch (a copy of it is reproduced below): " I watched your video at youtu.be/v44i73zmwA4. The lady says plug it in and load programs. Not quite this simple.

It appears that you also may need the Rainbowduino3.0_Library. This copies the rainbowduino.cpp,rainbowduino.h and example sketches but doesn’t put them in the correct folders. I moved the examples files to the “examples” folder so they showed up in the IDE Open menu function.

Please move the Rainbowduino3.0_Library to the path like: D:\Program Files\arduino-0022\libraries
and then open the Arduino IDE, you can open the sketch from the menu “Open”. Then compile, and upload.

Make sure the driver of Rainbowduino has been successfully installed. The driver can be found here:D:\Program Files\arduino-0022\drivers\FTDI USB Drivers
As soon as the driver installed, there should be one COM port that you need to choose before uploading the sketch.

Please give it a try, and let us know if there’s any problem.

Regards,
Steve

There’s a Arduino 1.0 version of the library now linked at github.com/unwiredben/Rainbowduino-v3

Thanks for the sharing. :slight_smile: