MusicShield 2.0 won't initialize SD Card

Hello, I have been searching around trying to make the Music Shield 2.0 work now, it was for a halloween project but could get it figured out.

to aid in troubleshooting, i am just using the example “CreateList”. Everything compiles fine, but It can never initialize the SD card. Using serial monitor, i just get this:
initialization failed. Things to check:

• is a card is inserted?
  • Is your wiring correct?
  • did you change the chipSelect pin to match your shield or module?
    ---- songs in TF card (root dir) ----

Things I have tried, after much research, finding similar trouble:

Format 2 GB Micro SD card using the SD card association tool.
Format card using windows, tried FAT16 and FAT32
Repeat above with a different 2 GB Card that was brand new.

Install Arduino 1.0.x, as recommended by some.

Tried about 5 different libraries, some from links posted in forums, tried the GIThub official ones, as well as the ones linked from SEEED’s page for the music shield 2.0
Tried installing older versions of SD library.

Tried Using SD example sketch ‘cardinfo’ just to try to read the card, it fails to initialize as well. after every test I go back and try the creatlist sketch as well, but i assume the shield SHOULD work as a simple card reader using that example.

I have verified voltages, as well as tried using a separate power supply instead of USB, all to no avail.

Every sketch I have verified the chipselect pin, as well as the miso mosi, ck pins just to be sure.

I have attempted to swap the MOSI and MOSI pins, even though i am sure they are correct, but have read about them being swapped, though i think it is an issue with other boards (mega?)

I am using an arduino Uno, so CS is pin 10, though I have tried using others as well, even though i am sure 10 is correct.

Anyways, this has been very frustrating, and I am not really an expert coder, but I know my way around this sort of stuff and am at wit’s end with this thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @BikeFisher:
we test the example. and got no error.

can you give me a pic of the hardware connection?

Stacked directly onto UNo. I am a new forum user so can only upload 1 picture, but it is evenly aligned.
Please note the Board I am using does not have ISP header installed, but I have assumed the connection between pins 10,11,12,13 suffices, I have confirmed the pin assignments of my board match what is being used in sketches.

Thank you for the prompt reply, it is appreciated.

Hi @BikeFisher:
1.maybe you can format the SD to fat32 by using

2.my sd card like this.

I am using 2 GB SD cards, as the Limit is specified in the MusicShield 2.0 Docs. the SD formatter tool doesn’t allow me to select formatting style, I assume since yours is 4 GB that may be why yours formats to FAT32. I have also Formatted both of my 2 GB cards to FAT32 using windows 10, but neither format changes anything. Since no results, I use the SD formatting tool as my Final format to continue troubleshooting, since that is what I have found many people say is the correct formatting.

just to clarify, i am using a MusicShield 2.0 (mut have been old stock, I just purchased) . Arduino IDE v1.8.13. I am using the Library v1.04 found here : https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/Music_Shield

Thanks for your continued help.

i did notice that in serial monitor, your clock frequency shoes different than mine, though i am not certain why that is:
min show 0xffff, you 0xc000

Hello,

Just to Follow up, this was my fault, I was not using a genuine Arduino UNO, I was using a clone that i have around just for testing and experimenting, and there must be something different, since i purchased a genuine UNO and the shield worked right away, so there must be some difference.

regardless, I appreciate the initial support that was provided, and it was actually your screenshot that showed the clock speed that had me research the specs of my board, and led me to suspect that there was some difference.

Cheers, Thanks again, the shield works great now.

1 Like