LoRa-E5 Point to Point

I purchased two LoRa-E5 Development Kit, to connect them point to point ( each as transceiver or one receiver one transmitter) is this possible using AT command. In seeedstudio blog I saw a diagram showing that, but there is no commands instruction to be able to do it. Any comments?

+1 … i bought a LoRa-E5 Development Kit and two LoRa-E5 … but I can’t find any example for a point-to-point connection … please can you give us?

TIA,

Guglielmo

I was able to do it in test mode.
I set both devices to the same parameters (frequencies, Spreading Factor), and set one to receive mode, and used the other to transmit a test message. It worked fine.

For some projects this could be enough.

I’m investigating re-programming the units I have to achieve a similar goal, although I may look into having one run as a single-channel gateway if it is at all feasible.

1 Like

Semtech have a ping-pong demo here but there would be a good deal of work to get that running on new hardware. In any event, simple examples will leave their radio receiver always on and so will draw much power.

AFAIK almost all software work for LoRa hardware supports LoRaWan. The path of least resistance is probably to get a LoRaWan gateway and get a LoRaWAN implementation working, and understand it, before attempting a point-to-point implementation. In most cases it will be easier to get two nodes to communicate via an application running beyond the LoRaWAN gateway.

AVOID USING “SINGLE-CHANNEL GATEWAYS” which are not compatible with LoRaWAN and won’t work with LoRaWAN gateways like The Things Network.

Could you put AT command to do this?

AT+UART=TIMEOUT, 1000
AT+MODE=TEST
AT+TEST=RFCFG,903.3,SF12,125,12,15,14,ON,OFF,OFF

These commands will configure the AT command to support a 1 second timeout (handy if enter commands by hand, unnecessary otherwise).
+MODE will put it into TEST mode
+TEST=RFCFG… will set communication parameters. PLEASE REVIEW THE FREQUENCY USED FOR YOUR REGION. I am in North America, and chose 903.3 for the test.

Perform these same steps on 2 units (Lorae-E5 Mini, or Dev board).
Then, use this command on the Receiver:
AT+TEST=RXLRPKT

And this command on the Transmitter:

AT+TEST=TXLRSTR,"Hello World!"

You should receive a response like this on the Receiver:

+TEST: LEN:12, RSSI:-18, SNR:5
+TEST: RX "48656C6C6F20576F726C6421"

The received data is hex encoded.

1 Like

Thanks a lot !

Guglielmo

I am in the same situation. I have tried the procedure from topham.
All AT commands seem to work and I receive a confirmation RX.
However I have only received data on 2 occasions after many tens of tries.
I don’t know why it worked on those 2 attempts and never others.
When it did work, I was able to send a string every 2 or 3 seconds with no problems but when I repowered either end I could not get it to start working again.
I understand that the Mode setting is lost at power down so I reconfigure both ends at power up

Do you have any idea about connecting 2 different LoRas. I have LoRa E5 mini and RYLR907(LoRa Module).

Hi!
Did you manage to port the ping-pong demo to use with the E5 module? I’m currently working on this and i’m stuck!

Thank you very much!

Sorry, no. I got ping-pong working on different hardware a year or so ago.

I just received 2 Lora-E5 development boards with the goal of using these devices in a LoRa mesh network. I am a contributor to the open source LoRa mesh protocol here:

For now we only support Arduino boards and I am not sure an Arduino Core is available yet for the E5 board, but the ability to use the SX1262 radio in point to point is required, so I hope this can be done. I just don’t really know where to start. I assuming STM has some adaptation of the Semtec LoRa library.

Did anybody tried LWDL to transmit data to a particular Device Address . I am getting ERROR(-1)

AT+TEST = LWDL, TYPE, “DevAddr”, “HEX STRING”, [FCNT], [FPORT], [FCTRL]

has anyone managed to adapt the Pingpong project with lora-e5?

I am also trying the same…have gotten to compile and am getting the APP_LOG messges on the terminal and unable to see any RF power on the spectrum analyzer. If I keep two LORA-E5 eval kits very close to each other, then I can see the data received with RSSI in the range -110 to -115 dBm…any idea whats happening ?