LiPo Rider Pro efficiency

I am using 2 LiPo Rider Pro boards for wireless sensors, powered by solar panels. I am getting quite low efficiencies and according to some simple tests i did, indeed in some conditions only 50% of the power taken from the battery is available for the load. I would have expected to see some of such data available in the specs, but none is. Can you do some further tests and publish the results please?
I wrote on this on my blog but your forum does not allow to put URLs.
Thanks- Tom
Screenshot 2014-05-20 at 10.28.36.png

Hi tom,
This is songzhao from seeed ,i think something is wrong in your test ,because the test result from you is contrary to Ohm’s law, i had test this borad again ,this is my result and the efficiency is about 87%.



Hi Zhao Song,
Thanks for your reply and your test results. I would be interesting if you could include the efficiencies for the different loads. You are using relatively high currents (100-500mA) which i don’t believe is a typical situation for solar/battery powered sensors, that would deplete a 3000mAh LiPo battery overnight. It seems logical that most applications would run at a much lower current. Mine runs at 5-10mA. At this level, the efficiency of the LiPo Rider Pro is only 65%, which is quite poor. Below my test results (all values are measured, except when it says calculated), i included a calculated value for the resistor, based on Ohm’s law and it seems quite accurate.
Please can you also test at these low power levels.
Screenshot 2015-01-15 at 15.25.19.png

Thanks for your good test. We will have a further test and put all information on here and the wiki. Your suggestion is very useful to us. Thanks.


Dear Tomtobback,
YES! you are right, Lipo Rider pro have a high standby consumption. This problem due to the boost IC ISL87516 which has a poor effectively in low load. The attachment for your reference.
Thank you for pointing out this problem. We will make a upgrade in next version. :slight_smile:
ISL97516.pdf (477 KB)

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the feedback and looking forward to see the new version.
If it is not finalised yet, i’d like to suggest:
1-in addition to the solar + battery connectors, also provide holes to connect wires to the board; now i have to solder extra wires on the connectors e.g. to be able to measure the voltages with my arduino
2-also, most arduino applications will run well on the 3.7-4.2V of a LiPo battery, without booster to 5V, so it would be nice to have a power connector straight from the battery (or at least holes as in point 1)
3-as many arduino applications can work on 3.3V (i am using DHTs and PIRs on 3-3.3V without problem) it would be nice to have a 3.3V low dropout voltage regulator on the board to provide a power efficient(!) stabilised 3V3
Regards- Tom

I agree with the above mentioned!

Recommend a site about rs gold at rsgoldfast

You say the problem I have encountered, which is very troublesome, annoying, hoping to improve as soon as possible!