Is Wio Lite RISC-V (GD32VF103) with ESP8266 Windows only?

I’m going through the Getting Started by PlatformIO procedure from Wio Lite RISC V GD32VF103 with ESP8266.

• At step 2, the following error is reported:

PIO Core Call Error:

"The current working directory /Users//Documents/PlatformIO/Projects/BlinkRiskV will be used for the project.

The next files/directories have been created in /Users//Documents/PlatformIO/Projects/BlinkRiskV
include - Put project header files here
lib - Put here project specific (private) libraries
src - Put project source files here
platformio.ini - Project Configuration File
PlatformManager: Installing gd32v
gd32v @ 1.1.2 has been successfully installed!
PackageManager: Installing toolchain-gd32v @ ~9.2.0

Error: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ‘~9.2.0’ for your system ‘darwin_x86_64’"

• After opening the project manually, launching a build at Step 3 raises another error:

Executing task: platformio run

Processing gd32vf103v-eval (platform: gd32v; board: gd32vf103v-eval; framework: gd32vf103-sdk)

PackageManager: Installing toolchain-gd32v @ ~9.2.0
Error: Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ‘~9.2.0’ for your system ‘darwin_x86_64’
The terminal process terminated with exit code: 1

Terminal will be reused by tasks, press any key to close it.

• Questions

Does that mean the tool chain is not available for macOS?

Is Wio Lite RISC-V (GD32VF103) with ESP8266 Windows only?

Currently yes, we are also in contact with the chip originator for multi-platform support.

Could you please put this somewhere on the product page for this board? I bought four of them that I can’t do anything with now because there was no indication that the SDK wasn’t available on macOS and this is the first time I’ve seen a chip that didn’t have support for all three major platforms.

I don’t do PlatformIO, but I do GD32V development on MacOS.

There’s a bunch of finger-pointing in https://github.com/sipeed/platform-gd32v/issues/6 but the good news is that we now have a very stable set of GNU tools in HomeBrew. Even hosting on M1 works. (You’re welcome. :slight_smile: )

For the GD32V boards like this, be sure to remember the --with-multilib or you’ll get a toolchain that supports only RV64, which isn’t supported by these chips.

It’s very likely that if you sneaked these tools in behind the GUI part of PlatformIO, you’d get close to working. There may be some work in getting the support libraries up, but probably not rocket surgery compared to actually building and tweaking GDB, Binutils, GCC, and all that goes into that.