How to wire a W5500 Ethernet Shield to Mega

The SPI pins for the UNO are 11, 12, and 13, while the Mega SPI pins are 50, 51, and 52. I was preparing to hard wire it in, but wanted to know if I could use the ICSP SPI pins instead. Can I utilize them by changing this, see picture?

Hi @krugdu
. Yes, you can do it. The ICSP SPI pins in the Mega: MISO, SCK, and MOSI are also connected to digital pins 12, 13, and 11 respectively just like those of the Arduino Uno.

Hello,

My original question was not clear, my mistake. I am unable to get the shield to save to the SD card and I believe it’s because the SPI pins 11, 12 and 13 are not the SPI pins on the Mega. The Mega has SPI pins 50, 51 and 52. Do I need to solder the pads together on the right side, near MOSI, SCK, and MISO, and break the connection on the left side in order to use the ISCP SPI pins? I’ve seen online where others have wired the 11, 12, and 13 pins to the corresponding 50, 51, and 52. I’d prefer not to do this if I can simply solder the pads and break the other pads. Please clarify the direction I should go. What is the purpose of the MOSI, SCK, and MISO pads on the bottom of the shield? Thank you for your help.

Hi @krugdu
The SPI pins 11, 12, and 13 are the SPI pins on the Mega, but by default, it is the PWM pin.
So you can’t through the SPI pins 11, 12, and 13 communicate with the shield directly.

What’s more, the SPI pins 50,51,52 and ICSP SPI pins are connected together,
By default, the MOSI, SCK, and MISO PAD of the w5500 shield is soldered to the SPI near the SD direction. At this time, the W5500 communicates with MEGA through the ICSP of MEGA.
If the MOSI, SCK, and MISO PADs are soldered to the other side, W5500 will communicate with mega via the digital pins 11, 12, and 13 of MEGA.

Hi,
I’ve determined that I can save to the SD card on the shield if I use an UNO, but when I run the same program on the Mega I get an error. I have not altered the shield by soldering the pads. What are your thoughts?

Hi @krugdu
The SPI pins for the UNO are 11, 12, and 13, while the Mega SPI pins are 50, 51, and 52.
So you should make some changes to the code or solder the pads of the MOSI, SCK, MISO to the other hand.