Getting “CPU Bootloader is not running on device” error when flashing Nvidia Jetson Xavier NX to Jetson Linux 35.1

I’ve been trying to manually flash my Nvidia Jetson Xavier device (SKU
110061381) to Jetson Linux 35.1 via Nvidia’s Board Support Tools (BSP).

I have been able to successfully flash my device to Jetson Linux 35.1 via the SDKManager GUI tool in the past; however, I must use the command-line tools because I would like to disable OP-TEE in Jetson Linux 35.1, which requires manual flashing as explained by this Nvidia forum post.

I followed all the instructions for manual flashing outlined on your Wiki and I I downloaded both the Driver Package and Sample Root File System from Nvidia’s official wesbite.

To summarise, I ran the following terminal commands for a manual flash:

$ tar xf <L4T_RELEASE_PACKAGE>
$ cd Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/
$ sudo tar xpf ../../<SAMPLE_FS_PACKAGE>
$ cd ..
$ sudo ./apply_binaries.sh
$ sudo ./flash.sh jetson-xavier-nx-devkit-emmc mmcblk0p1

However, the manual flash consistently is stuck at CPU Bootloader is not running on device. as shown below:

[   7.6626 ] Applet version 01.00.0000
[   8.7760 ] Sending blob
[   8.7762 ] [................................................] 100%
[   9.5566 ] tegrarcm_v2 --boot recovery
[   9.5580 ] Applet version 01.00.0000
[  11.6817 ] tegrarcm_v2 --isapplet
[ 1016.0394 ] tegrarcm_v2 --ismb2
[ 2031.8470 ] tegradevflash_v2 --iscpubl
[ 2031.8505 ] CPU Bootloader is not running on device.

I’ve also attached the entire log to help with debugging: cpu-bootloader-not-running-on-device.txt (62.9 KB)

For context, I am flashing via an x86 laptop (not a VM) running Ubuntu 20.04. I have been able to flash my Xavier several times to Jetson 35.1 using Nvidia’s official SDKManager GUI application on the same laptop without any issues or errors. However, as mentioned earlier, I must use the command-line tools for manual flashing because I want to disable OP-TEE.

Any support on this would be greatly appreciated.

I understand this is a somewhat old post, but are you still able to flash that board using the SDKManager? I’m running into a similar issue trying to flash a xavier nx running on Seeed Studio’s J202 carrier board, but getting a repeated “CPU Bootloader is not running…” from the script. However, I have not been able to have any success using the SDKManager GUI either, instead getting a repeated

INFO: Flash Jetson Linux - flash: Waiting for target to boot-up…

If you are using the same carrier, what options/parameters did you select when flashing it?