Flashing J4012 not working - No devices to flash

I am having problems trying to flash my J4012 Jetson Orin NX 16GB device. The issue seems to be related to the USB port. When I try to flash the device using the instructions at Getting start with reComputer J30/40 | Seeed Studio Wiki everything seems to go ok creating the image and so forth, however at the very end it reports “No devices to flash”.

The J4012 is connected by USB data cable to the Ubuntu host platform via the USB-C input jack. When I run lsusb I get the following response:

steve@ubuntu-20:~/Downloads$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 005: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
Bus 001 Device 051: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 050: ID 05e3:0610 Genesys Logic, Inc. 4-port hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Since none of these entries go away if I unplug the J4012, I feel like the USB port is not working on the J4012.

Please let me know how to troubleshoot this issue further.

thanks,
Steve

Hi @stvenmobile

From your description it seems you do not enter into Force recovery mode by using the jumper.

Below the video is the description:

BE veeeeery careful how you connect the jumper.

Funnny fact: i almost every time forget to remove the jumper and allow the NX to reboot after flash :wink:

Good luck!

2 Likes

I believe I have figured it out. I was using the correct jumper to set the device in automatic recovery mode, however I did not remove the jumper before starting the flashing process. At least the process that seems to work is this:

1. Set the jumper and power on the device in AR mode.
  2. Remove the jumper
  3. Apply binaries, pre-reqs, create the default user
  4. Flash the device.

The instructions at Flash Jetpack | Seeed Studio Wiki do not state the jumper needs to be removed at this point, but is seems to me to be required. At any rate, my issue can be closed, and thanks for your rapid response - it set me on the right track.

Steve

2 Likes

Actually I do have an additional question about the flashing process. When I try to use the Nvidia SDK to install the other missing components after flashing the device, I am not able to use the USB port to enable connectivity with the SDK host to install those components. Whenever the J4012 is booted up on the Jetson Linux OS, I cannot us the USB option to do the software installations (and the USB does not present itself as Nvidia APX when I run lsusb on the SDK host). It seems like the device-mode USB is only working in recovery mode. I am able to get around this by using the ethernet option to do the software installs, but it seems like this is a bug to me.

Also, when I boot to recovery mode and watch thew process on an HDMI monitor, it doesn’t seem to actually boot. The screen remains black with no messages. However, the USB can be seen by the SDK host, and it is possible to flash an image using the SDK. Still, should I not see an actual boot process happening on the monitor when booting into recovery mode? This also seems wrong.

thanks,
Steve

If I remember correctly on Nvidia Orin AGX 32GB the screen was dark and during flashing for details I’ve had to look on the other station with a serial monitor program. Let’s say I’m 60% sure :slight_smile:

The nvidia SDK I haven’t used it, but I’ll give it a try.

Hey, Im also having problems with my usb ports. It used to do the “No devices to flash”, then at some point my usb stopped getting recognized and am unsure what to do about it.
Thanks,
Gun