Firmware updates for Mini Router built with Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4?

Just bought the “Mini Router built with Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4, Pre-installed OpenWRT, Dual Gigabit Ethernet NICs, 4GB RAM/32GB eMMC, OpenWRT” from here:
h ttps://www.seeedstudio.com/Dual-GbE-Carrier-Board-with-4GB-RAM-32GB-eMMC-RPi-CM4-Case-p-5029.html

The setup manual as well as the GitHub page point to this OneDrive folder for firmware updates:

h ttps://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%21AEcwsyZAovIBK%2DI&id=5219529519B9B6A1%21963&cid=5219529519B9B6A1

But there hasn’t been an update in over 2 months now. The GitHub page mentions “We compile the latest images every workday.”, so what’s the status of this?

1 Like

Hello, we will consider whether to update the Mini Router in conjunction with the R&D department’s schedule and the latest version changes to ensure that users are able to use stable and updated firmware.

Thank you for your reply.
So the team is actively working on a new version, correct? Is there an estimated timeline for the next release? OpenWRT 22.03 Stable version was released September 6: [OpenWrt Wiki] OpenWrt 22.03.0 - First Stable Release - 6 September 2022

Our plan may be to release an update at the end of the year, so stay tuned.

The problem here is that the repos will keep on "ticking " the version number forward. I needed the iprange kmod module for my firewall and it wouldn’t install as the kernel is too old. Not really a good solution. Either you need to maintain your own repo for the kmod-* modules or keep updating the firmware in the same pace as the official repositories.

1 Like

I agree!

Is there a way around this? Isn’t it possible to flash the RPI4 version of OPENWRT? And just not use SEEED studios builds? Id like to choose my self what I want installed in my router. It feels like I just bought a samsung phone. Full of bloatware and shit I will not use.

I just installed official openwrt with plain luci. Everything worked. Just had to set up DHCP interface for WAN under interfaces.
Flashed this version with balenaEtcher.
How to flash: Getting Started - Seeed Wiki
Firmware: [OpenWrt Wiki] Techdata: Raspberry Pi Foundation Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4

Works good so far, will see in a couple of days how the throughput works, had problems with decreasing throughput until I rebooted it. I want to use this thing as a router and nothing else.