Error: Activating device: KO. Please, verify the boot mode configuration and check the serial port configuration. Reset your device then try again

I am using the LoRa-E5 Dev Board. I connect it via USB-C to my laptop and try to connect from STM32CubeProgrammer using UART at a baurd rate of 115200. When I try, I get the error Error: Activating device: KO. Please, verify the boot mode configuration and check the serial port configuration. Reset your device then try again.... What shall I do? Every time I power the device on, I hold the reset button for 10 seconds, to no avail. Do I need to move any jumpers around or something? The cable works fine. Picture of the board: https://i.imgur.com/MXao44N.jpeg

I am also able to use the AT commands fine, however I need to program the board.

Are you trying to program the RoLa-E5-HF module directly to work without using AT commands?

See section “STM32Cube MCU”

No, I am trying to flash my zephyr OS program. Even if I wanted to use STM32CubeProgrammer, I cannot since it gives me the error Error: Activating device: KO. Please, verify the boot mode configuration and check the serial port configuration. Reset your device then try again when I try to to click the Connect button (UART). I have also attached a picture in the post. Thank you

When writing to the LoRa-E5 Dev Board, connect ST-Link to SWDIO (PA13) and SWCLK (PA14) for writing.

note

• Factory AT Firmware is programmed with RDP(Read Protection) Level 1, developers need to remove RDP first with STM32Cube Programmer. Note that regression RDP to level 0 will cause a flash memory mass to erase and the Factory AT Firmware can’t be restored again.
  • The “PB13/SPI_SCK/BOOT” pin on the Wio-E5 module is just a normal GPIO, not the “BOOT0” pin of the MCU. This “PB13/SPI_SCK/BOOT” pin is used in the bootloader of the Factory AT firmware, to decide to jump to APP or stay in bootloader(for DFU). The real “BOOT0” pin doesn’t pinout to the module, so users need to be careful when developing the low-power applications.

I don’t know your connection situation well, so my answer may be off the mark.

Forgive my ignorance, but I am not sure what you mean. I searched up ST-Link, and I found it’s some hardware debugger. However, I simply want to connect to the board through STM32PROGRAMMER first, then I can click the “Disable read protection” checkbox or use the CLI to do it, although I am not able to connect in the first place. How do I connect to the board in the first place though? Or is there some misunderstanding from my part?

I don’t know your connection situation well

I have attached a picture in the original post, which shows how my board is connected (USB-C),
For sake of clarity, I will also attach a GIF of how and where I am getting the error: https://i.imgur.com/bXwwOdr.gif

Have you read the “STM32Cube MCU” section of the Wiki?

Preparations
Software:
STM32CubeIDE: for compilation and debugging
STM32CubeProgrammer: for programming STM32 devices

Hardware:
LoRaWAN® Gateway connected to LoRaWAN® Network Server (e.g. TTN)

A USB Type-C cable and a ST-LINK. Connect the Type-C cable to the Type-C port of the board for power and serial communication. Connect the ST-LINK to the SWD pins as follows

I believe the usb port is only used to supply power to the board and for serial monitoring.

1 Like