Erratic readings from Grove AC Voltage Sensor when mains not connected

Hi everyone,
I hope someone could share some insight.
I’d like to detect the presence of AC voltage (on or off, open or closed AC circuit) and chose this sensor as it’s a solid state solution. I’d love a relay, but don’t see a grove module with a relay that accepts 120 or 240 on the coil.

Basically, when I run the example “Voltage Sensing” and there is no input, the reading goes all over reading 1000 volts etc. Is this simply the wrong application?

Output from VoltageSensing from the library: GitHub - mcmchris/mcm-grove-voltage-sensor: AC analog voltage sensor module for energy monitoring.

Voltage: 825.19 V
Voltage: 792.47 V
Voltage: 789.68 V
Voltage: 814.82 V
Voltage: 592.79 V
Voltage: 701.92 V
Voltage: 567.02 V
Voltage: 484.95 V
Voltage: 394.74 V

My setup:

• Seeedstudio Nano
  • Nano Grove Shield
  • Grove - AC Voltage Sensor (MCP6002)

I guess I somewhat expected that this unit would simply take RMS AC and scale it to 0-5 volts analog.

TLDR; I want to use the AC voltage sensor to check to see if there power, or there is no power. Instead, when no mains are connected, it reads erratically and would cause the Arduino to think that there is in fact power. Is there any way to fix this? Or is there a better solution on the Grove platform?

Thanks,
Roger

Hi there,
seems odd , but maybe you need a load in the circuit?
put a light in the circuit and see if it changes the readings?
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ

I have one setup that watches the 5V USB and if the charger is on(110v AC) if the usb is present, otherwise it’s off.
:v: