DSO firmware version 3.4

I’ve also a problem with my SD card which doesn’t work.
I think it’s due to the fact that somes SD card aren’t compatible with spi protocole.

BenF, thanks! I formatted the card using a program SDFormatter2.9.0.5. Everything works fine!

Hi, thanks for providing these capabilities.

[i]I am having difficulty with v3.40: the trigger level appears to only be adjustable downward, and as you adjust it, it wraps around the screen.

Am I missing a setting?[/i]

Never mind–I reset the device and everything works now. Must have somehow gotten in a weird mode.

Hello benf
Is this possible:
Rather than save a buffer on an SD card could not be
send these buffers via USB to a PC and as a measure of capture (almost real time).
we would have a mode captures burst '. The shipment would be via USB
faster than recording on the SD card.
Double thank you for your response and your excellent software (I use it almost every day)

google translation

Does this update interfere with the function generator on the DSO Nano V2?

Thanks for the V3.40.

I am quite impressed with your latency of selected measurement item from the pop-up. Excellent job with the FIT trigger option. It serves the new users as well as experienced users.

The Nano is very useful at this time and those functions I referenced above may have been in previous releases but I just looked close enough to find them today. I am closely examining the functionality for more lesson tutorials.

One request would be to allow an option for the trigger sensitivity lines to remain displayed while the trigger level is adjusted. Maybe a sticky on/off option for display of the trigger sensitivity cursors.

One point of clarification on the COUNTS measurement item. I understand it is transitions but I don’t understand the duration measurement. Is this the counts within the entire buffer as I suspect?

Thanks again for all your work.

When I set the buffer pri to POST and then use long “M” to set the trigger to zero offset; I can then scroll right arrow about 98us with a timebase of 2us/Div. What is this displayed empty space?

Is it empty buffer memory, or is it related to something else like acquisition setup time?

Thanks

This is possible, but you would then need PC software to process the data stream. Some speed constraints to consider are as follows:

USB on the Nano conforms to USB 2.0 full-speed (12 Mbit/s). SD write speed is roughly the same. Sustained end-to-end speed for either interface (USB or SD) however is likely to be significantly less. Maximum sampling rate on the Nano is currently (V3.40) 16 Mbit/s.

The functionality of the signal generator is the same as for V3.3x which was confirmed to work also for V2 hardware. Hardware version is displayed on the startup screen (V1 or V2) so you can verify that your Nano is identified correctly.

Personally I think the double lines obscure the displayed waveform and so prefer the single level line (sensitivity is more of a set-and-forget value). This of-course is a subjective preference and so an option to choose may be the way to go.

The PULS measurement is a count of low-to-high (below/above trigger) transitions across the full capture buffer.

Any single capture will use the full buffer capacity (currently 4098 points) with the trigger position shifting left/right within 1/3 of the buffer between individual samples. In order to keep the trigger centered on screen and still allow every single point to be viewed there will be empty space (no data) far left and/or far right on the display. This empty area is outside of the buffer and size is related to trigger position.

Hi Benf,

i ask you because you know the very detail of software… is it feasible to keep sampled signal in 8 bit (a virtual screen)?. This way transfer requirements (for both card and USB) will be kept to a minimum (8 Mbit/s).

Note: as far as i know ADCs are 12 bit (12 Mbit/s), aren’t they?

When doing DMA sampling from ADC, data is obtained from 16-bit registers although with only 12 significant bits per sample. This is where the 16 Mbit/s is coming from.

We need the full 12-bits to maintain a reasonable dynamic range across all scales, but I’m sure post-processed data at 8-bits would be quite acceptable (the Nano waveform grid is only 200 points vertically).

I had some quiet time to scan the forum for ideas and suggestions again and thanks to all for the excellent feedback.

Also I’d like to excuse my sometimes terse comments. Please don’t confuse this with lack of respect in any way and don’t hesitate to challenge or correct me. I’m way past my teens and not after boosting my own ego in any way so bring it on (be prepared to get challenged back however).

There are some very knowledgeable people here such as Slimfish and Shazam who knows the Nano hardware better than any of us. They have both contributed to a long thread on considerations for the V2 design modifications that may interest you. Also if you haven’t looked at the video tutorials posted by lygra, please do so, they are a delight.

Yes, thanks to Slimfish and Shazam from me too :slight_smile: I followed their threads closely because of their commitment to enhance the nano. I’m not much into the hardware of the nano but I’m curious to know if any of their great ideas did make it into the V2 (or quad)?

I admire you too BenF, you are amazing!

For those looking for an SD card that works, I just purchased the $10 2GB SanDisk SD card at Walmart and it works fine. I was reluctant to purchase because I didn’t know if it would work; but it does!

@BenF many thanks for the firmware, is a great work!.

a spanish newbie…

Hello benf

Christmas has passed and no source?

I’m sad.

Happy Christmas to all anyway

Hello BenF
The firmware v3.40 Benf is not working well on the Nano V2, contains noise … the larger the scale v / div contains more noise.

thanks

In order to verify that your Nano is working ok, a good start is to test without USB power (using the internal battery) and the probe connected to the frequency generator with a 1 kHz test signal. You should then see an image similar to this:

Is the source for this about, or will it appear in the svn repo? Apologies if I just haven’t looked in the “standard” place. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hello BenF

With the old firmware v2.4 both could measure 80Vpp!
Now we can measure how many Vpp with the current firmware BenF v3.33 and v3.40 ?
With this new firmware BenF v3.40 can measure 110v and 220v AC?

Thanks

The source for V3.11 and related project templates for IAR 4, IAR 5 and GCC is available from google code:

http://code.google.com/p/dsonano/

Max Vpp with the standard 1x probe is 80 Vpp (10V/Div) and 800 Vpp with a 10x probe (100V/div). There is now an additional 0.2V/Div for 10x probes, but apart from this, choice of attenuation is unchanged.