Does the ESP32C3 XIAO have integrated over- and discharge protection?

Hello everyone,

I recently bought an ESP32C3 XIAO and it works great. Now I would like to operate it with a battery. But what protective functions does the ESP32 have? Discharge protection, overvoltage protection?

I would have ordered this battery:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B09DPNX4KP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is it good for this?

And I also want the battery to charge when I connect the USB. Now it says in the Wiki that I should check whether I have such a circuit. I can’t see anywhere which component it is. Could you please clarify this for me?

Best regards,
Manuel

Hi there,
Yes it does include those protections on the Xiao. You can look at the data sheet for the battery management and schematic if those help.
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ

Thank you very much for your answer.

One another question:
If the battery is connected, can I still upload a sketch via usb?

Best regards,
Manuel

Hi there,
Yes, no issues.
HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ

The ESP32C3 chip typically includes built-in protective functions such as battery undervoltage and overvoltage protection, but the specifics may vary depending on the manufacturer. As for the selected lithium-ion battery (amazon), ensure its voltage and capacity are compatible with the ESP32C3 XIAO. If the XIAO lacks a built-in charging circuit, you may need to add an external one for safe battery charging.