Distance between the Grove Doppler Radar and the Target Object

Is there a way for the Grove Doppler Radar to measure the distance towards an object?
Based on the documentation, it only sends the speed of the moving object and indicates if that object is moving towards or away from the radar.

On the seeedstudio website, the description stated:
"Normally you would use an Ultrasonic or LiDAR Sensor for distance measurement and PIR Motion Sensor for motion detection.

What if we told you there is an all-in-one module that could do all these functions more precisely and also perform functions such as velocity detection of moving objects and angle detection of objects."

But so far, I cannot find a way to use the Grove Doppler Radar for distance measurement.

It is indeed possible to use Doppler radar to achieve ranging, and the related content of ranging can be found on the Internet. Although it can be done, we still recommend using it for detection instead of ranging.

I’ve been searching on materials wherein Grove Doppler Radar was used for ranging or determining distance, but I haven’t found any. Would you mind giving a link to the related content you mentioned?
Your answer to my question is so vague. It’s as if telling me to “just search the internet”.

Does Grove Doppler Radar have any documentation regarding this?

The Grove Doppler Radar can detect moving objects from a distance of 10-meters.
In my application, I need to limit the distance where it detects moving objects to probably 3 meters only. I hope someone can advise me regarding this.

On the seeedstudio website, the description stated:
"Normally you would use an Ultrasonic or LiDAR Sensor for distance measurement and PIR Motion Sensor for motion detection.

What if we told you there is an all-in-one module that could do all these functions more precisely"

Then you will tell me that you "recommend using it for detection instead of ranging"? Your statement contradicts your product description. If it is recommended for motion detection only, why not just use PIR sensor instead?

I need both functions, but on the Grove_DopplerRadar(BGT24LTR11) Radar module communication protocol v1.1 document, there is no distance information that can be retrieved from the UART message.

It may be that the description of the document has caused you a misunderstanding. I’m sorry for that, and we will improve the description. In fact, the principle of Doppler radar can realize ranging and speed measurement, but due to the specifications provided by the supplier, the data value returned by the radar is only related to speed and ADC data. If you need to achieve ranging, you need to have The ability to transform these data through algorithms, we have not done more development for this, because we have a Grove module for distance measurement.

Grove_DopplerRadar(BGT24LTR11)Radar_module_communication_protocol_v1.1.pdf.zip (175.6 KB)
This is the product specification, you can refer to it and develop accordingly

Noted on this. I think based on your reply, I can conclude that the Grove Doppler Radar is not suitable for our application. We need to detect moving objects and set the sensing distance to less that 10 meters.

I already have this document. I have mentioned it already on my previous reply.
Thanks anyway.

Yes, for the moment, the only help we can provide is to use it to measure speed. Once again, we apologize for the misunderstanding that we have caused you.

Hi Citric,

Can you update the information on the following page and exclude distance measuring:

It STILL, after 1.5 years, states the following:
How would you build a system that could calculate the distance towards an object or detect whether there is motion present? Normally you would use an Ultrasonic or LiDAR Sensor for distance measurement and PIR Motion Sensor for motion detection. What if we told you there is an all-in-one module that could do all these functions more precisely and also perform functions such as velocity detection of moving objects and angle detection of objects.

It’s incredible how you promised that the information would be updated, but here I am, looking for a radar sensor to measure distance (because it’s in an enclosed box I need to use radar), stumbling onto that sensor, realizing it cannot do what it says it should do, coming across this post and seeing that someone had the exact same issue over a year and a half ago.