First what I am trying to do:
- I want to daisy-chain several 60mm 8x8 matrices together, in order to build a 16x8 LED Display (eventually there it should be 24x24, but I would be happy if just two matrices would work, to begin with).
- I am using an two Rainbowduino V3.0b with built-in USB-to-UART and I have a Arduino Duemilanove available.
I tried several methods and code. Especially the one including the Rainbowduino Firmware 3 (code.google.com/p/rainbowduino-firmware/).
I tried to connect the Rainbowduino V3.0b directly to my PC with the built-in USB-to-UART, whicht did work. I was able to run some basic code on the Rainbowduino, displaying single characters and shapes, but without serial communication. Neither from PC to Rainbowduino directly, nor over I2C with a connected Arduino (code from the link above).
Now my questions:
- How can I communicate with the Rainbowduino V3.0b over serial port or any other option from my PC? I would like to be able to send new data from Processing / Java to the Rainbowduino. Probably the best thing would be to send data to the matrices over the built-in USB port, but I was not really able to get it to work.
- If sending continuous data over USB does not quite work, an Arduino in-between PC and Rainbowduino works for me as well, but I can’t get it to work.
- How can I chain 2 or more Rainbowduino V3.0b together and send data to the display?
- Am I using a wrong library?
- Is there anyting I need to do different?
I found lots of examples and code for the old version 2 of the Rainbowduino, but nothing really works for me with the V3.0b.
I am thankful for any suggestion you might have!