Connecting ReSpeaker to a small micro speaker

Hello I have been working with a raspberry Pi and have coded some STT software etc, however, I am building a smart speaker for a project I’m working on,

I am now wanting to use the ReSpeaker Core and Respeaker Mic array 2.0 and the adafruit plug and play speaker. (doesnt have to be that speaker though)

My trouble is I’m not very good with electronics side, so need help connecting them all together to make one unit.

Mind you, It doesn’t even have to be altogether either, if I can just use the mic array or the core with a sound output that would work too? I know I can just put a speaker into the headphone jack but that wont do for my prototype. I am trying to fit it all into the respeaker pro-case you see.

I notice there is a breakout for the ReSpeaker core v1.0 for a speaker so happy just to get an 8ohms speaker to fit that too, but I don’t know which way the cables should be attached etc.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks,

David.

Getting Started¶
Connect ReSpeaker 4-Mic Array to Raspberry Pi

Mount ReSpeaker 4-Mic Array on Raspberry Pi, make sure that the pins are properly aligned when stacking the ReSpeaker 4-Mic Array for Raspberry Pi.

Note: Hot-plugging ReSpeaker 4-Mic Array is not allowed. It will damage the respeaker.

connection pic1 connection pic2

Install driver

Make sure that you are running the latest Raspberry Pi OS on your Pi. (updated at 2021.06.30)

Step 1. Get the Seeed voice card source code, install and reboot.

sudo apt-get update
cd seeed-voicecard
sudo ./install.sh
sudo reboot now
Step 2. Then select audio output on Raspberry Pi:

sudo raspi-config
Select 1 System options
Select S2 Audio
Select your preferred Audio output device
Select Finish
Step 3. Check that the sound card name looks like this:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ arecord -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
jack
JACK Audio Connection Kit
pulse
PulseAudio Sound Server
playback
ac108
sysdefault:CARD=seeed4micvoicec
seeed-4mic-voicecard,
Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=seeed4micvoicec,DEV=0
seeed-4mic-voicecard,
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=seeed4micvoicec,DEV=0
seeed-4mic-voicecard,
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=seeed4micvoicec,DEV=0
seeed-4mic-voicecard,
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=seeed4micvoicec,DEV=0
seeed-4mic-voicecard,
Hardware device with all software conversions
usbstream:CARD=seeed4micvoicec
seeed-4mic-voicecard
USB Stream Output
usbstream:CARD=ALSA
bcm2835 ALSA
USB Stream Output
If we want to change the alsa settings, we can use sudo alsactl --file=ac108_asound.state store to save it. And when we need to use the settings again, copy it to: sudo cp ~/seeed-voicecard/ac108_asound.state /var/lib/alsa/asound.state

Step 4. Open Audacity and select AC108 & 4 channels as input and bcm2835 alsa

Regards,
Rachel Gomez