Confrict between "Seeed SAMD Boards" and "Seeeduino AVR"

On my Arduino IDE 1.8.12, the board manager could not handle both on same time.
Is there anyone who can use the two without conflict?

The entry for my Seeeduino XIAO (SAMD),
https://files.seeedstudio.com/arduino/package_seeeduino_boards_index.json

The entry for my Seeeduino v4.2 (AVR),
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Seeed-Studio/Seeed_Platform/master/package_seeeduino_boards_index.json

Thanks for your attention.

I am unsure what you mean that the board manager cannot handle both. Do you mean you are trying to run two instances of Arduino.exe and when you change the board on one instance it changes it on the other?

Hi,

When I include both URLs in the additional board manager, one of them will be hidden in the board manager. When I install the package with only one URL, the other environment will be destroyed.

Hello,

The problem is the filename which is in both cases the same: package_seeeduino_boards_index.json.
This file will be installed when you’re using a portable installation like me in your “/portable” map beside the other json-files from added packages like “package_adafruit_index.json”. (I think when you’re using a non-portable install the Jsons are placed in the “/hardware” directory) When you use the link on seeedstudio.com that json will be installed and when you use the link on githubusercontent.com that json will be installed and the last one overwrites the other one.

I did self make a workaround and downloaded manually the SAMD json, renamed it “package_seeeduino_SAMboards_index.json” and placed it in the directory with the package json-files.
I have only the link for the AVR in my preferences URL list copied. The SAMD link is NOT pasted in the preferences URL list.

After this modification I can install AVR and SAMD from within the board-manager and I can use both platforms but…not everything is ok because I get a load of error-messages about many tools which are not installed as supposed…but most of the time the sketches work as they should.

A good solution would be one combined JSON from Seeed where both platfroms are integrated…or two json’s with different names so the SAMD json will not overwrite the AVR json.

As a great fan of Seeed products I think this modification should be not a big challenge for the developers at Seeed and it will help a lot when you will use both Seeed platforms.
This moment it is not advisable (especially for new users) to buy and use both platforms from Seeed.
(which is not good because I want to share my enthousiasm about both Seeed platforms with others :grinning:)

2 Likes

I reported it some time ago at Conflicting boards packages names.

1 Like

I think Seeeduino101 would be more appropriate.It has been updated.

As @Sapollo and @reivilo explained, how do we treat with the problem of same filenames?
Also, I’m wondering if the version managed by the board manager will go up.

@Baozhu The modification performed is about the identifier name, not the name of the .json file.

I can’t find the Xiao and Wio Terminal on the https://github.com/Seeed-Studio/Seeed_Platform/blob/master/package_seeeduino_boards_index.json file.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Seeed-Studio/Seeed_Platform/master/package_seeeduino_boards_index.json There are too many historical products in this, some have EOL, but the software must be saved.

May I suggest to rename it legacy? It is very confusing.

I am using old boards, so I need to get both boards files.

" legacy" is great. Any other suggestions?

1 Like

Thanks! https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Seeed-Studio/Seeed_Platform/master/package_legacy-seeeduino_boards_index.json would be great.

Hi @Baozhu, I like @reivilo 's suggestion when you will keep having two separated json files for SAMD and AVR. However, I think that both architecture could be managed in a json file. Adafruit’s approach with SAMD and AVR looks fine.

Yeah, I like @reivilo suggestion “legacy”. And if we can manage both (AVR and SAMD) JSON in a single file as @tokuhira said , that would be great.

I agree the name “legacy” looks great but the integral file like @tokuhira mentioned is also great & maybe better because you don’t have to look in different places other than your board-manager when you have installed the one and only Seeed .json file (One file to rule them all :grin:)

I just have made an integral json file myself for testing and after testing it with a clean IDE and installing and testing it with a Lotus, a Wio Lite and a Wio Terminal I believe it works like supposed. The tools which supposed to be the same but were different in the 2 json’s I have pasted the SAMD versions and there was only 1 error (but I had this one also with the 2 seperate jsons): The “Grove AI HAT for Edge Computing” has toolsDepencies for riscv64-unknown-elf-gcc 8.2.0, kflash 1.3.0 and kendryte-standalone-sdk 0.5.6 and cannot find them (nor can I) So I have made a test-Json with all the “Grove AI HAT for Edge computing” versions removed and all errors are gone. I still have both Jsons but I use the AI-Hat-(And Error)-free version.

afbeelding

Private-link for the AI-HAT-free-version:
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Sapollo/31167e5e1a4f648c3fa5d882efd2d11d/raw/50c91f439740f21da221b03fedd09e2cac2fa3fe/package_seeeduino_boards_index.json

Private-link for the version with AI-HAT (giving errors in my Arduino-IDE):
https://gist.githubusercontent.com/Sapollo/822367a6b9a7c9b97a5b8d105b4f6d2a/raw/bf4120b707706383ccf270d1379e4120a39ff164/Original_integral_package_seeeduino_boards_index.json

@Baozhu: When you have not made a integral Json yourself yet, you can check mine and if it is good or after edit make a copy to put on the seeed site. After all it is still Seeed-code I have only merged it :smiley:
And maybe giving you more time to make more great products (I’m a big fan of the Seeed products!!)

(On all my browsers on different devices the wiki seeedstudio com site is behaving strange…is there a problem with the site?)

1 Like

Thank you very much for your Suggestions. We have already modified it. Today I will synchronize the wiki together with the modification.

3 Likes

Thanks, @Baozhu. Now I can see at the same time (Seeed SAMD and Seeed STM32F4 Boards)

also getting some error message on Arduino

Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avr-gcc version=4.8.1-arduino5 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avrdude version=6.0.1-arduino5 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avr-gcc version=4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avrdude version=6.3.0-arduino9 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=arduinoOTA version=1.1.1 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avr-gcc version=4.9.2-atmel3.5.4-arduino2 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avrdude version=6.3.0-arduino9 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=arduinoOTA version=1.1.1 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avr-gcc version=7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avrdude version=6.3.0-arduino17 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=arduinoOTA version=1.3.0 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avr-gcc version=4.8.1-arduino5 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avrdude version=6.0.1-arduino5 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=stm32_dfu_upload_tool version=1.0.0 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=stm32_dfu_upload_tool version=1.0.0 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=bossac version=1.6.1-arduino packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=CMSIS version=4.0.0-atmel packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=linkit_tools version=1.1.21 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=linkit_tools version=1.1.21 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=linkit_tools version=1.1.23 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=esptool version=0.4.13 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc version=1.20.0-26-gb404fb9-2 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=mkspiffs version=0.2.0 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=riscv64-unknown-elf-gcc version=8.2.0 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=kflash version=1.3.0 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=kendryte-standalone-sdk version=0.5.6 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=riscv64-unknown-elf-gcc version=8.2.0 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=kflash version=1.3.0 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=kendryte-standalone-sdk version=0.5.6 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avr-gcc version=7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino5 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=avrdude version=6.3.0-arduino17 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=arduinoOTA version=1.3.0 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=bossac version=1.6.1-arduino packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=CMSIS version=4.0.0-atmel packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=linkit_tools version=1.1.23 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=esptool version=0.4.13 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=xtensa-lx106-elf-gcc version=1.20.0-26-gb404fb9-2 packager=Seeeduino
Index error: could not find referenced tool name=mkspiffs version=0.2.0 packager=Seeeduino

Hi @salman
This is because some didn’t use a VPN. We have the same phenomenon as you before we change the network.

@jiachenglu Thanks for the response, How can I solve this problem? Sorry I didn’t understand the global network!