Can't upload to Wio Terminal using Windows 10

Hi Simon,

just to be sure
you have SEEED SAMD boards installed in your Arduino IDE

reboot, connect wio terminal and upload blink ?

Hi BoRRoZ,
thank you for your reply.
Yes, I have “Seeed SAMD Boards” 1.7.9 installed and I am using the same upload settings as you are.
grafik
I am getting the same errors I described in my original post.

Did you try to programme any other boards?

I can program an Arduino Uno and Due without an issue. The only board I can’t program is the Wio Terminal.

And you can also program the WIO Terminal using other computer right?

Yes, exactly. I can program every board except the Wio Terminal from my main PC running windows 10.
I was able to program the Wio Terminal using another computer running MacOS.
I would like to be able to program the Wio Terminal from my windows 10 computer.

seems like the Windows computer Arduino IDE Issue, Can you try to uninstall Arduino IDE and clean all the Arduino related files from documents and AppData and install fresh from Arduino website.

Try connecting with the WIO off. Then switch it on in Boot Loader mode as described here:

You should see a disk drive mounted with some file in it.

At lease then you will know it is not an interface issue and the WIO is working

Once that is done try uploading again.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
As I described in my original post, when I connect the Wio in Bootloader mode I get the following error:
An error occurred while uploading the sketch
No device found on COM12

I can see the files but can’t access any of them. When I try to access the files my windows explorer locks up completely until I disconnect the Wio Terminal.

Hi,

1-I would check if the connection is still open the moment you give the erase (or write) command.
(computermanagement/devicemanager/ports)
dmanager

2- try to create a folder on your desktop and unzip IN that folder the tools needed
tools
then use powershell to give instructions

no guarantees :sweat_smile:

Are you using the same cable to connect to the mac and to the Windows machine? Without extensor or hubs.

Hi @Simon_K can you try this!

I am also having this same problem. All works fine with a Mac but with the Windows 10 machine, the upload fails when trying to open the port. I’ve tried two different Wio Terminals and two different Windows 10 systems (One of them I did a fresh install of Arduino). Both of the windows systems are running Arduino 1.8.13. It would be nice for this to be addressed ASAP. Also, the attempt to get board information via the menu works fine.

Also, I tried uploading (after selecting the correct port) when the system is in and out of the bootloader mode–still no luck. So, this solution does not work: Can't upload to Wio Terminal using Windows 10

WioInfo

Hi @bhclowers

I fixed the problem on my Windows 10 Machine by uninstalling a Program called „StableBit scanner“

I have not such program on my system. I’m still having this issue. Wish I knew even where to start.

@bhclowersAre you able see the wio terminal listed in the device manager!

Sorry for raising a dead thread, but I found a fix that might help anyone else with this problem:

If you slide the power switch down, it resets the microcontroller. Slide it down twice in quick succession to put the microcontroller into bootloader mode. This will cause a new serial port to enumerate on your computer. Select the new serial port in Arduino and upload the program. It should upload without any problems this time.

2 Likes

Hello Shawn,
I came across this thread trying to find a solution to a similar problem.
I have created an impulse using Edge Impulse Studio and download the Arduino sketch.
The target board is a WIO Terminal board.
The board works fine without any problems when using built in examples (e.g. LED blink etc, SEEED examples).
However, when I try to upload my custom impulse sketch on to the board, the uploading goes without any problems. However as soon as uploading is completed, the board disconnects from the computer and I get a message from Windows “USB device not recognized. The device may have malfunctioned blah blah…”.
At this point I cannot find the Wio device in my Arduino IDE at all, unless I boot the board back into bootloader mode by pressing the power button twice as mentioned by you.

However, on repeating compiling the EI impulse again, I get the same problem.

Stuck in a loop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind Regards

MZS

Hmm…I don’t remember seeing that problem. Can you get a serial terminal to work using Serial.begin(115200); and Serial.println(“some stuff”); in Arduino? You’re also welcome to try my code here (https://github.com/ShawnHymel/ei-keyword-spotting/blob/master/embedded-demos/arduino/wio-terminal/wio-terminal.ino) that’s been modified from the Edge Impulse example (note that you’ll need to have an Edge Impulse library installed…I used a keyword spotting model for that particular program).

1. You need to Install Arduino Software.
  2. Open the Blink example. Open the LED blink example sketch: File > Examples >01.
  3. Add the Wio Terminal Board Library. 1. Open your Arduino IDE, click on File > Preferences, and copy the below URL to Additional Boards Manager URLs:
  4. Select your board and port. …
  5. Upload the program.

Hope You Find This Useful,
Peter