Can HW2.7 install app_g251 community edition? (solved: yes)

Hi folks, I’m trying to install the hex file from viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2957

HW v2.70
SYS v1.52
(original) Mini DSO APP PLUS A1 v1.03

I’m following the procedure in the upgrade firmware wiki article(ref.1), though I did not upgrade SYS or FPGA images. When I attempt to install APP_G251.hex (ref.2, same as pmos69’s, minus html tags), it generates the following APP_G251.err(ref.3) instead of a .rdy file.

I’m not particularly familiar with intel hex format (what it looks like anyway), so I’m not sure how to interpret the error messages it is generating. How should I proceed from here? I’d really like to be running a firmware that has source available.

My post is apparently too spammy, so here are the referenced URLs.

1. seed studio’s /wiki/DSO_Quad:Upgrading_Firmware
    prepend andrew.domaszek com to the following for URLs:
  2. /project/dso203-related/APP_G251.hex
  3. /project/dso203-related/APP_G251.err

Looking at the hex file from your url I notice one difference from the regular hex file.

The standard hex file has lines which are terminated in CRLF as per normal PC standards. The hex file from your url has lines terminated in just LF as would be the case on a Unix system. I suspect you have downloaded onto a Unix like platform which has translated the line endings automatically.

I don’t know for sure but I’d guess the Quad loader is expecting CRLF and is giving the error you see.

It is best to get the file in zip format to avoid these issues, or you could open and close the file in a text editor that allows you to save with new CRLF line endings.

Spot on, thank you! setlocal ff=dos|update did the trick for me (vim), then I pushed the file onto my device and it worked like a charm. It never occurred to me to check that, though to be honest, it should have.

As an aside, I just got my device, but somehow I got used to the Plus A keybindings much faster than the Community edition ones. Perhaps that is because I had no preconceptions going in, but more likely because everything has a uniform access pattern in Plus A. That’s not necessarily a good thing since it’s often 3-4 steps to do anything useful.

Anyway, thanks again.
a.d.

Good to hear that worked.

The key operation of the Community version does take a bit of getting used to but it’s worth it in my view. It is less reliant on central pushes on the toggles which is a good thing as it is easy to do a toggle when trying to do that. Plus it has some significant extra functionality like setting short long buffer captures which is very useful on slow timebases. The bit I find tricky is remembering the short and long push functions so I use a little crib sheet for those.

Once you have got used to the basics then there’s quite a bit of other stuff that can be done with the device using other software that can be loaded in parallel with the main scope like logic analysers and spectrum plots. The Pawn scripting stuff is very good as there are some useful little apps in there plus one can fairly easily add one’s own dedicated functionality via that route.