BT Shield not showing up on Android Bluetooth Device Scan

I just got my BT Shield and popped it onto my arduino to start testing.
I followed all the instructions on: http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bluetooth_Shield#Connecting_Bluetooth_Shield_to_Android_Phone
I changed #include <NewSoftSerial.h> to #include <SoftwareSerial.h> in the Slave.pde example since it wasn’t working and I read that that was what I should do…
and I changed the other reference to the header to comply with that change :

NewSoftSerial blueToothSerial(RxD,TxD);

to

SoftwareSerial blueToothSerial(RxD,TxD);

I also pulled the connector things (I don’t know what they’re called, but they connect two pins together) and moved them from their original placements to the 0 and 1 pins so that they could connect to the arduino tx and rx pins.

Right now only the tx pin is blinking (and in the serial monitor there is all of this unreadable text like

?00€ÀÀÀ@```À€üüü@~~`~0000ƀÀÀü@~`~ 000€ÀÀÀ@`ø€üüü@~~`~0000ƀÀÀü@~`~ 000€ÀÀÀ@`€øø€üüü@~~`~0000ÆÀÀÀÀ`~`~0?00€ÀÀÀ@``` €øøü€üüü@~~`~0000ƀÀÀü@~` , and when I scan for devices on my android phone, I find no devices so I can’t really test anything else.

Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

Hello,
If you use arduino-1.0 ?
If so ,please try to download the Bluetooth Shield Demo Code for Arduino 1.0 , uncompressed and upload the example “Slave” to your arduino .

Regards,
Deray