Brick LCD board 16x2

I just received my Seeed Studio starter kit, going through the examples, I couldn’t make the LCD worked.

Only black squares on the bottom 16 lines, I did installed the new corrected liquidcrystal.h library found on your site but still the dreadful black squares…

Any advice for a newb who did spend a few hours on this one…

Thanks great product!

Same problem here,

I think that the BUS is not compatible with Arduino MEGA, I have a seeduino mega, and lectronic brick manual says that it should be run.

I spent hours studying the issue and I think that the SPI interface is the problem, in the mega SPI pins are different. I tried all, arduino 018, 017, all LiquidCrystal libraries include the seeduino one.
Also I tried with all class of pins in the LiquidCrystal contructor … without luck.

What arduino board are you using?

arduino duemilanove

It is compatible, at first I was thinking it was the contrast adjustment…

I did only try with 0018

Any quick fix?

You can try the official library with 0018 , and add the lcd.begin(16,2) ; in the void setup() .

I had the same problem with Arduino 0018 on Mac OS X 10.6.4, Arduino LiquidCrystal library, Seeeduino Mega board, Electronic Brick Starter kit shield (using BUS2), and the LCD. I was able to work around it by using BUS1 and changing my program as follows:

LiquidCrystal lcd(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8);

I’m not sure why BUS2 does not work…maybe it has to do with pin 13 functioning differently on the Mega v. older MCUs?

Rx