BenF feature suggestion: Scroll in Y axis

Hi Ben and thanks for all the great work!

I’ve been using my Nano V2 for a few months now and your firmware rocks.

So here’s a use case: I have a square signal that has behavior of interest superimposed on it while it is high. I can’t quite see clearly what is going on, so I decrease the VD setting to get a better voltage amplitude scale on the display. Unfortunately, now I cannot see the flat portion of my signal because it is off screen.

If it was possible to scroll Gnd Pos off the screen, I could move the high (or low) portion of my signal into view.

It’s been a while since I used a ‘wet’ scope, but IIRC they allowed this behavior.

Of course, then there might be an issue of a ‘lost beam’, but I can think of several solutions for that.

Perhaps the firmware does this already and I have missed it? Perhaps there is a better way to address this requirement? Insufficient RAM to make it happen maybe?

Thanks for entertaining this suggestion and once again, great work!

As long as we can capture the input with sufficient range and resolution, we may be able to address this in software. One way to find out is if you export the waveform to an Xml file and then examine the data in this file (Excel is a good tool for this). Values in Xml files come directly from the sampling buffer and so are not limited by display resolution/dimensions. If the waveform (from the Xml file) appears chopped at top and bottom however, we’re at the hardware limits.

With a two channel scope, you may be able to subtract the square wave from the input (similar to what we would do with a sinus carrier frequency) and so look at the difference. AC coupling may not help much since the offset is a square wave rather than a DC level.

If everything else fails, there is always the option to build a small pre-conditioning probe capable of extracting the signal of interest before it gets passed on to the Nano.

I checked an xml file, the data is all there in absolute voltage values, with no apparent flatlining. Indeed, I can see some overshoot in the signal.

I could of course use the export feature to examine the waveform in Excel or something, but that would partially defeat the convenience of the Nano.

Scrolling the data into view seems like it could be done and could use a ‘thumb’ just like it does when scrolling Trig Pos.

It’s all down to RAM and Flash space I guess, oh and your valuable time (unless you want help that is :wink: ).

Thanks for the feedback - I will consider this for a future update.