Aux connector info

Ok - after extensive testing I figured out that both channels work when using a TRS jack (headphones only device). Instead when using a TRRS jack (headphone and mic device) the right channel and the mic do not work.
If you get a chance could you see if your jack is TRS or TRRS?

Thanks!

@ansonhe97: could you confirm which jack you have?

You must be special if it works for you. It makes no difference whether I use a TRS orTRRS plug headphone, only the left channel works. I have a feeling SEEED may have used a mono jack but without a schematic and a jack part number it’s impossible to tell. Of course, SEEED will not come forward with this information or admit they made a mistake. It’s not worth my time to bother with this as SEED won’t respond. I’ll just use the HDMI audio, a USB audio card or a HDMI audio extractor box for sound.

Thank you @jponko ! @jiachenglu: could you please confirm if there are different versions of the Odyssey with a different Aux connector?

Thanks!

OK dudes,
But are all your Odyssey’s inside a blue case ?
Have you all people concerned tested it outside of the case first before doing another hypothesis ?
That point is still not clear to me.

Hi there @jfboss - yes, mine is inside the blue case with Windows pre-installed. I have done my tests on Linux and Windows 10.
Do you think that the case could be the culprit / change things here?
Can you confirm if you have tried a TRS connector?

Thanks!

Mine was connected to my elder Hi-fi system, no mic. That’s all I can say. (inside the blue case - never tested outside). And it has never worked properly, with sound on the left side only.

@jfboss - Thank you. Would you have a photo of your jack?
Does it have 3 or 4 sections?
In my case the one with 3 sections (TRS) works on both channels.
Thanks!

No weird graduations there, it’s centimeters ^^ and 3 sections.

@jfboss Thanks - It is the same as mine and mine works. I have been told by after sale support that the Odyssey does not work with TRRS which contradicts what has been posted by @Bruce.Qin.

“Do you think that the case could be the culprit / change things here?”

OK, I’m afraid it’s gonna be a bit difficult to me to explain it in English:
I noticed that while I was pushing the jack connector in very slowly, at a very short moment both channels seemed to work simultaneously (but with extreme distorsion). but only one left when finally full in.
That’s the reason why indeed I thought the case may be involved.
Hope that my explanation is comprehensible enough though.

@jfboss: Yes it is comprehensible!
I noticed the same thing when I use a TRRS jack: both channels are playing but the actual audio played on both speaker is the left audio.

Before I mistakenly said that pushing the TRRS jack not fully in was solving the problem but actually that is not correct because that causes the left track to be played on bot the left and right speaker.
Try with this audio here:
here

I do not have that issue with my TRS jack, when I use my TRS jack both channels work.

By the way do you have a TRRS jack, for example headphones of your mobile phone / iPhone?
I wonder what happens to you with those.

I don’t own the Odyssey anymore. Sorry.

@jfboss OK and you were right: it is a case problem!
The problem is due to the case that does not allow the jack to go fully in because the hole is not big enough. Without the side panel the audio and the mic works.

Hopefully Seeed will provide us with a side panel with a larger hole!!!

Oh you tried without the panel ? You know what, Simone, we’re great detectives :slight_smile:

Yes I think that we were pretty good!

Thank you for your help!