Are 40-pin screens for Raspberry Pi compatible?

This review of the X86J41005 says that Pi accessories are not compatible with the Odyssey due to a module not being available. Is that still correct?

I have a X86J4105 as well as a X86J4125 which are so far used with external displays using USB-C/HDMI ports, but I would like to build a mobile NUC using a reComputer case and was hoping to add a small screen in it, like that one or that square variant. Can anyone confirm this will work, including during boot (I want to be able to reach BIOS and type my LUKS passphrase before Debian boots).

Thanks in advance!

Hi, you can use the 40 pin function as pi except I2S function. Pls note that the IO voltage level is 1.8V.

Thank you, so I will check if those screens can work without I2S (did you mean I2C?). Unfortunately I am afraid the screens I had in mind wouldn’t work:

HyperPixel 4.0 uses literally all of the GPIO pins on the Raspberry Pi, including the standard I2C pins (BCM 2 and 3), but we’ve broken out pins BCM 10 and 11 as well as 3V3 power and ground, so that you can use I2C devices at the same time as using your HyperPixel 4.0.

Can you confirm?

I am not sure about the IO voltage either. You said it is 1.8V but that seems to differ from what is in the wiki here: https://wiki.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4105-GPIO/

Also, for screens that would not require I2S (or I2C?), would it work before the OS is booted (BIOS, LUKS encryption passphrase)? I have no experience with the Pi pins and never used them so far.

This answer seems to indicate that it is unlikely that pin-based displays designed for Rapberry Pi would fully work on other pin-compatible SBCs, let alone the Odyssey because perhaps some dependencies would not be available for x64.

it would be great if Seeed themselves could test a selection of nice pin-based screens (those I linked would fit under the clear acrylic plate of the re_computer case, so I think they would be great matches) and make a short blog spot about it, as it would ensure end users don’t spend and lose money on Pi accessories whose compatibility is not clearly documented in the Seeed wiki.

@Bruce.Qin could you please elaborate on the 1.8V IO voltage (the wiki on GPIO doesn’t mention that) and on whether the X86J41x5 supports the same DPI configuration as the Pi? I have asked to a Pimoroni developer but they say the Pi has up to 6 alt modes and only Seeed can tell if the Odyssey supports that too.

It is advertized as Pi-compatible and I didn’t see exceptions in the wiki, but I’m afraid many Pi accessories may not be compatible in the end.

@Kewbak Odyssey do not support RGB display. You can use SPI protocol’s screen.
Alll the 40 pin’s GPIO is 1.8V, depond on the intel CPU, we will add a level shift next genertion.

Thank you very much @Bruce.Qin, that clarifies the ambiguity about Pi accessories compatibility. You meant “You cannot use SPI protocol’s screen”, correct?

Exciting news about the level shift in the next generation of the Odyssey.

Sorry, I means SPI protocol’s scrren is supported. :grinning:

Oh, but you said RGB displays are not supported. I believe there are RGB displays that use the SPI protocol. Does that mean the only SPI displays that can work on Odyssey are those that are not RGB and that need only 1.8V?

I think there’s some ambiguity in the documentation about the “compatibility with Pi accessories”, it would be great to clarify that in the wiki and product description.

Sorry, make you confused. I means the display parallel interface (dpi) is not supported. :sweat_smile:
SPI interface RGB screen is fine.