8*2 LCD Questions

Just received the 8x2 LCD and have some questions.

1. I notice that depending on the contrast (VO pin) I set, the display is either black on a blue background or white on a blue background (which is more readable).
    Is either OK? I ask because when set it for white, the text momentarily shows as black before turning white. This happens when new text replaces old. Any ideas?

2. Is the above problem part of the “fixed” LCD lib change you made? I ask because I am using the newer LCD lib from REL 0017 and it seems to work fine otherwise. What was the fix doing? If it’s needed, how can I change the new lib to have that fix?

3. Not a question, but your diagram for hooking up this display is wrong. You have +5 and Gnd reversed! Please read the comments from others on that page. It has been mentioned for a long time. This is not a good thing.

Would you mind to share how you wired this 8x2 LCD to get it working ? I tried various wirings schemes (with corrected VSS and VDD), and only managed to get garbage on the screen :cry: … like ö ö characters… I use 0018 Arduino software.

Here is the right wiring table.

If we use 0018 Arduino software, we should first download the modified library at

seeedstudio.com/depot/images … rystal.rar and replace the original file " LiquidCrystal "

under “arduino-0018|libraries”.

If we have already right wirings and the modified library, the LCD is going to work fine.

I give an additional example. Have fun!!!

#include <LiquidCrystal.h>

//8 bit: RS, RW, EN, D0, D1, D2, D3, D4, D5, D6, D7
//RS–>PC0
//RW–>PC1
//EN–>PC2

LiquidCrystal lcd(14, 15, 16, 8, 9, 10, 11, 4, 5, 6, 7);

void setup()
{

}
void loop()
{
delay(1000);