3.5mm 4pole audio connector

I want to use the on board audio for audio ‘out’ and more specifically for audio ‘in’

When i plug in an apple headset Windows recognises the headset and microphone and i can hear that the headset and microphone are working.
I have a 3.5mm splitter and by continuity checking have checked that the ring connections are the same as the apple headset.
When i plug in a stereo headset in the headphone part of the splitter it works fine, but when i plug in a microphone, immediately Windows changes the status of the recording device from being ‘default’ to ‘not plugged in’.
I have been all over the web to try and find a solution but I cannot. Also I cannot understand why an Apple headset will work with its built in mic, but a separate mic will not work with the splitter?

Has anyone any ideas?

Regards

Glenn Holt

It has taken me all day but I have found the problem:-
The microphone in the Apple 3.5mm 4 pole headset must be quite high impedance.
I am using external microphones which are much lower impedance. The 3.5mm 4pole connector on the Odyssey and its circuit must not like this low impedance and that’s why Windows changes the status of the recording device from being ‘default’ to ‘not plugged in’.
I placed a 4.7K ohm resistor in series with my low impedance Mics and when connected via the slitter into the Odyssey all is good.

Hope this helps, if someone else finds this issue.

Regards

Glenn Holt

@glennholt Could it be that you are using the RE Case?
If so the hole for the jack is small and some plugs do not go in properly.

Hi and thanks for the reply.
I was not using the board in a case. I found the problem in that the Odyssey board or Windows did not like the low impedance of my microphone when connect via the 3.5mm connector, it changed the status from default to not plugged in. It was fine with the high impedance of the apple headphones.
so adding a 4.7K resistor in series solved the problem I can make up the loss of gain with a mic preamplifier.

Regards

Glenn Holt