NEW Releasing: STM32MP157C Development Board and Look forward to your ideas!

Hi yokonav,

Thanks for your feedback.

1. There is SWD interface already, so will not add ST-Link/V2-1 in this baseboard.
  2. Will try to replace the Lipo connector with a Grove connector.
  3. The Arduino Uno expansion will not be put on this board, otherwise, the board will be too complicated. Will breakout all the Arduino pin to Raspberry Pi 40-Pin, and provide a HAT with Arduino expansion.
  4. Yes, what STM32MP157C has is USB 2.0. USB3.0 is nice~ however adding USB 3.0 will add quite a lot cost, may consider it if there is a pro version.
  5. It is interesting to add NFC tag on a development board, do you have a specific application that needs this feature?

Really appreciate and like the idea of “10 board”. I have suggested this name to our branding team. Thank you~

Hi jeremy882,

Thanks for your response.

There are many industrial use cases for NFG tag:

1. Upgrade device firmware using the phone/tablet connection.
  2. Identify breakdown issue and bring the appropriate replacements.
  3. Check warranty or product registration.
  4. Read product diagnostics before powering up the machinery.
  5. Easily obtain product serial numbers, firmware version, repair history.
  6. Error logs or activity statistics can be read even when the device is completely dead and does not boot up anymore.

I used NFC tag in one of my application where it was needed to modify threshold of a sensor without reprogramming the firmware or touching the board (contactless). Using a tag writer the NDEF record on the tag is modified and the MCU reads the new value from the NFC Tag (connected through serial I2C interface).

Since this development board is very powerful so there are possibilities that it will be used in industrial as well as home-automation system and NFC will enable “tap-and-go” connectivity typically for commissioning a new device in those environments.

Also, a bit extra cost to implement USB 3.0 would give an edge to the board since many Linux development boards coming with USB 3.0 to take advantage of faster data transfer with external storage and adding Neural accelerators.

Hi Yokonav,

Thanks for the detailed example of how to use NFC tag, it really amazed me that there are so many interesting applications with NFC tag on board.

However, there are still factors I need to consider such as the size of the board. We have never added NFC tag to our development board before, it is still a bit risky for us to do so on this one. I am thinking since we will add an I2C Grove connector on the board, and we also have Grove - NFC tag, it is more practical for us to make some nice demo with Grove - NFC tag at the very beginner. We will do more evaluation on adding the tag on the main board in the future.

Regarding the USB3.0, I have consulted our electrical engineer, and they don’t think this would work as the STM32MP1 only supports USB2.0, there will always be a bottleneck from the speed of USB2.0. And also I have searched google and could not find a solution for that. Please correct me if I am wrong or miss any information from your suggestion.

Still, really appreciate your ideas~

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy882,

I can understand your concerns. You are right, with groves modules we can extend the functionality. I am eager to use this board. When can we expect this board in the production?

Hi Ole00,

Thanks for figuring out this important issue. Actually, we have a plan to break out the Cortex-M4 to the raspberry pi standard 40-pin connector, and will provide an Arduino HAT in the future, do you think this is an acceptable solution for you?

From the block diagram in the datasheet, we can see that the data transfers between the A7 and M4 via multi-AHB bus and AXI bus. Theoretically, the M4 and A7 can’t access the SRAM at the exact same time but might be able to access and switch in a very short time.

Jeremy

Thanks for your understanding. We will have the samples in Middle July, and if everything goes well, it will be released in early September.

Great!

I’m happy to see the comments here.

Well, I think it’s possible to “route” pins in the SoC GPIO between the A7 and the M4, right?

So, based on that, the 40-pin Raspberry Pi connectors should not be a problem.

Exposing the SWD is excellent to use it with the ST-Link V2 (or equivalent).

Thanks for the reply about the USB-Serial and display.

So, the focus of this SBC, for now, is to use it with display or “headless”, right?

Any updates?

Hi Yokonav,

Thanks for the following up. We will get the first batch of sample this week. Will update the photos here once we get the samples.

The latest version just came out! But we will update more based on your suggestions! Please free feel to let us know your thoughts. We will carefully listen to and take action!

Hi!

This is a great initiative!

Which port the Grove connector provides? I hope I²C.

Which SDK (or SDKs) do you plan to use for the Cortex-M4 core? Apart from STM32Cube, do you plan to consider the Wiring/Arduino framework!

Good luck with the development!

Wow! Looks great! Have you decided the name yet?

It is probably too late. But the Arduino mega 2560 form factor would be nice.

Many people(me included) use a RaspberryPi with an Arduino mega2560 and Ramps board for 3d printing. With a meaga2560 form factor and a 3.3V Ramps board this board could be a much better solution for 3d printing. It would be better because it would replace the Arduino and the Raspberry. And it would also have much more performance on the real time part. That would help with complicated movement especially with Delta printers. Octoprint could run in the Linux section, Marlin 2.0 could run on the M4 section.

The 40-pin connector, if RaspberryPi compatible does have less than 40 GPIO and it would not be enough to drive a printer. Therefore as said in a much earlier post. More GPIO would be better !!!

From the performance point of view the most recent RaspberryPis will be much better on CPU power. So the real benefit of this CPU is the integrated Cortex-M4. And that is best for real time control stuff. And therefore the M4 needs as many Pins as possible! (GPIO, SPI, I2C, UART)

Hi reivillo,

The Grove port is I2C :smiley:

I am sorry that for now we are not considering the Wiring/Arduino framework.

Hi Yokonav,

The name is decided already.

For the SoM, it is Seeed SOM-STM32MP157C. This is the most understandable name for our users, and we will have more SOM in the future us SOM+IC Name.

For the SoM+Based Board, we call it the NPi-STM32MP157C. “NPi” looks simple and easy to remember, the word “NPI” also means “New Product Introduction” in the product development process, which means a good start. Also, we hope our users don’t consider this product as Pi, “NPi” also means “Not Pi”.

Hope you like the idea :smiley:

Hi Lars_poetter,

Thanks for this idea and detailed explanation.

The Mega form factor is great, it has a lot of GPIOs. If we got a second chance, we will definitely have more consideration for it.

The reason why we choose Pi form factor is that there are already many HAT in the market that suitable for industrial application. We didn’t consider Arduinos at all because we thought Arduino still gives people the impression that it is for DIYs, and not for a serious project.

We will think about how to provide more GPIOs while still make the board looks more professional in future product. Thank you!

Yes I liked it! That’s cool! When can we expect to try out the board?

We are debugging the first batch sample, and will make some amendment to it. For example, it is not easy to get the mcu with firmware already flashed for ST-Link, we may consider removing ST-Link.

If everything goes well, we can get second batch sample in September. We are considering send some free samples of the second batch to the repliers of this topic to review the board. :smiley:

Interesting product looking forward to using this board…

Thanks Jeremy! What’s the updates? Please let me know if you want me to test it out.