Elecrow HC-5 Bluetooth bee / Stalker 2.3 & 3

Hi,

Screen Shot 2015-02-19 at 6.20.48 PM.png

UPDATE: At least part of the issue with the Stalker 2.3 is that the Bee socket runs on pins 0 & 1 as does the UartSBee - creating a conflict and, naturally a problem. One solution might be to re-wire to use 2/3, 6/7 or some other. Which I did try and had no results, well, no good results.

UPDATE: I’ve severed the connections on pads P5 and P6 and soldered the other pads so that the Bee is using pins 6 & 7 for serial communication - this was partially to solve the UartSBee conflict as it also uses pins 1 and 0 for serial connections. Result: I can at least have the Stalker attached to my PC while I work and attempt to solve the problem - I still can’t get it to actually be “inquirable” (no red & amber LED flashing).

So I have a Stalker 3 that I’m attempting to add a bluetooth bee based on an HC-5 chip. I can get it to work on the UartSBee - which is nice, but the settings of course are not permanent.

I’ve been trying the following code to set up the BT Bee - and it’s not been working. So what am I doing wrong?

/* Upload this sketch into Seeeduino and press reset*/

#include <SoftwareSerial.h>   //Software Serial Port

#define RxD 1
#define TxD 0

#define DEBUG_ENABLED  1

SoftwareSerial blueToothSerial(RxD,TxD);

void setup() 
{ 
  Serial.begin(9600);
  pinMode(RxD, INPUT);
  pinMode(TxD, OUTPUT);
  setupBlueToothConnection();

} 

void loop() 
{ 
  char recvChar;
  while(1){
    if(blueToothSerial.available()){//check if there's any data sent from the remote bluetooth shield
      recvChar = blueToothSerial.read();
      Serial.print(recvChar);
    }
    if(Serial.available()){//check if there's any data sent from the local serial terminal, you can add the other applications here
      recvChar  = Serial.read();
      blueToothSerial.print(recvChar);
    }
  }
} 

void setupBlueToothConnection()
{
  blueToothSerial.begin(38400); //Set BluetoothBee BaudRate to default baud rate 38400
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+STWMOD=0\r\n"); //set the bluetooth work in slave mode
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+STNA=BTSLAAAVE\r\n"); //set the bluetooth name as "BTSLAAAVE"
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+STOAUT=1\r\n"); // Permit Paired device to connect me
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+STAUTO=0\r\n"); // Auto-connection should be forbidden here
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+STPIN=2222\r\n"); // Auto-connection should be forbidden here
  delay(2000); // This delay is required.
  blueToothSerial.print("\r\n+INQ=1\r\n"); //make the slave bluetooth inquirable 
  Serial.println("The slave bluetooth is inquirable!");
  delay(2000); // This delay is required.
  blueToothSerial.flush();
}

Still working on it. Still no progress. Still no code that addresses the basic observation that this (or possibly other) Bluetooth Bees don’t work well on the Stalker boards owing to pin conflicts and communications issues with the software serial lib.

Running out of ideas and time.

As it happens - as confirmed by the folks as Seeed Studio there is a defect in the Stalker 3 board that prevents Bee devices from working on software serial - so, that’s fun.

It means you can (and have to) use the hardware serial pins to communicate with the bee device, in this case a bluetooth bee.

So, happy hardware hacking everyone.

B