looking for a pet ID micro chip scanner (help wanted)

I want to build a pet feeder, which should not let one pet eat from the other pet’s bowl.
I’ve got two cats, both has microchip ID implants. One is supposed to be on a diet, but too often eats his own food, and his “sister’s” which I want to prevent.

I’m looking for an RFID reader/scanner able to read these microchips to use in an automation project which will limit access to a bowl if the wrong cat approached.

I found this wikipedia page en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microchip_implant_(animal explaining types of chips and scanners available. I don’t know which type implanted into my pets. (I’m in the U.S. if that matters.)
There are ready universal scanners on ebay, some (from reading descriptions) could be connected to computer, but all are pricy (usually above hundred US dollars, sometimes — several hundred).

Looking for advice if there is some relatively cheap (way below $100) RFID reader that could be used in such a project?

Hi,

Seeeduino is preparing about some project like what you description.
And now, at Seeed home page can search RFID to view some R/W module.

seeedstudio.com/depot/index. … ID&x=0&y=0

But in RFID terminal there is no one for you.

This might be what you are looking for:

http://www.priority1design.com.au/shopfront/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=24

Good luck!
Pete