Jerson
Kindergarten
Kindergarten
Are you a staff member of seeedstudio?: no
Which products/projects are your favorite?: dso Nano, dso nano quad

Re: Alternative dso firmware [Application Software Design En

Post by Jerson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:49 am

Gabriel

A request - I'd like to see a video / screencast of your development platform. I am trying to understand how you did the GUI coding. Is this some canned framework that is pulled into your code, is it something you wrote bottom-up. I am very curious. Please consider this request positively as I am very eager to shift from coding the superloop style to event-driven / rtos driven type.

Best
Jerson

jpa
Elementary-2
Elementary-2
Which products/projects are your favorite?: DSO Quad

Post by jpa » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:08 am

Jerson wrote:A request - I'd like to see a video / screencast of your development platform. I am trying to understand how you did the GUI coding. Is this some canned framework that is pulled into your code, is it something you wrote bottom-up. I am very curious. Please consider this request positively as I am very eager to shift from coding the superloop style to event-driven / rtos driven type.
I agree that the structure of Gabriel's system appears very neat. If I have understood correctly, he has a internal API for the hardware access. He can then compile the same C code on the desktop under Windows and test it there before testing on the DSO.

I have thought about doing the same for QuadPawn, but I don't think I'll bother to do it anytime soon. I have a simple script for quickly deploying code to the DSO, and some helpers for debugging it there.

As for the GUI system Gabriel is using, I haven't had time to study it yet but it would be very interesting to hear more about it.

Jerson
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Post by Jerson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:49 am

he has a internal API for the hardware access
True. He has created a bios class that bifurcates the system functions depending on target platform.

However, my curiosity stems from the enormous amount of labour that is needed to code a GUI bottom-up. Writing every class, widget etc, needs a lot of effort. I tried loading his VC++ project but could not see the screens. Maybe I am missing something because I use VC++ 2005. The event driven framework sure makes the entire project very responsive which is what I am trying to understand. I am an Ultimate++ (U++) coder and it too has the entire widget framework needed and is multi-platform. How does one target that GUI to an embedded system like the STM which it may not support directly? Things like fonts come into play too.

That is why the request.

gabonator1
Kindergarten
Kindergarten
Which products/projects are your favorite?: dso quad

Post by gabonator1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:40 am

I see nice lively discussion here :) If you will find some bugs, keep posting them here. Unfortunatelly I do not have time right now for fixing them, nor for recording any screencast. So please be patient and wait for weekend :) Besides my work as full time programmer I have also academic duties and if I will fail with my PhD. thesis, remember that it will be your fault! Fault of everyone of you who keep me motivated to work on this amazing project :)

Jerson
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Post by Jerson » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:12 pm

Hi Gabriel

Thanks for that sliver of hope to see a screencast sometime. Hey, good luck with your thesis and I hope I won't be responsible as I am in far off India. ;)

Cheers.
Jerson

c.wilt
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by c.wilt » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:36 pm

Good luck with everything.

I looked over your code and it looks like it would take a lot of rewriting to separate displayed range from the measurement display. Its something that I may attempt, as I feel that is the biggest design flaw that has been there since the DSO was released. I think it may be possible that the designer never used a scope before.

gabonator1
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Post by gabonator1 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:56 am

c.wilt, what exactly you mean by "separate displayed range from measurement display"? If you think it could be useful, please describe it more deeply, or post a image...

c.wilt
Pre-kindergarten
Pre-kindergarten

Post by c.wilt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:30 am

gabonator1 wrote:c.wilt, what exactly you mean by "separate displayed range from measurement display"? If you think it could be useful, please describe it more deeply, or post a image...
Every scope I have ever used has always auto ranged the measurements independently from the waveform display scale. For example we want a measurement of Vp-p but we want to zoom in on the rising edge to look for overshoot, ringing, etc. I can input a 30v p-p wave to my bench scope. Display the wave at 100mv per division to look for oddities. Push the the measure button and get a reading of 30v p-p even though it is off the scale of the display.

With the current DSO quad software everything is linked. If I feed it 30Vp-p and have the scale/resolution set to 100mv the measurements are wrong because the ADC scale is set to 100mv and therefore the measurement overflows the ADC.

Does what I am saying make sense?

Jerson
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Post by Jerson » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:15 pm

I caught an implementation boo boo with this. Ch1 is measuring Baud and I change the setting by mistake to MATH.
SDC10030.JPG

gabonator1
Kindergarten
Kindergarten

Post by gabonator1 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:50 am

The problem is now fixed. It was caused by setting the measurement input to Math while the Math calculation was turned off (oscilloscope/math/operator = off), now the application automatically adjusts the math operator to A+B+C mode when turned off.