First row black on LCD brick

First of all i’m new to the seeeduino/arduino/brick scene. I’ve just recieved my Seeeduino V2.2 (328P) and the electronic brick starter kit yesterday.

I started by following the examples in the cook book with no problem until i reached the example with the LCD brick.

The first row is simply black, and i’m only able to read the “hello, world !” at an extreme angle. furthermore is it not possible for me to address the second row. its completely blank. So I’ve tried a couple of things:

Powered by USB, voltage switch set to 5V:
Black first row, text only visible at extreme angle, second row not addressable

Powered by 9V battery, voltage switch set to 5V:
First row “grayish”, text visible in black, second row not addressable

Both backlight and power is set to ON.

can somebody spot what I’ve missed :question:

Never mind

found the update on the product page. working flawless now. :unamused:

I had the same problem and the update on the product page didn’t help me. Can you describe what you did to fix the issue?

Refer to my post http://www.seeedstudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=840.

After reading about your success, I switched to an Arduino Duemilanove (ATMega 328) and had the same problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rx

I had the same problem with Arduino 0018 on Mac OS X 10.6.4, Arduino LiquidCrystal library, Seeeduino Mega board, Electronic Brick Starter kit shield (using BUS2), and the LCD. I was able to work around it by using BUS1 and changing my program as follows:

[code]#include <LiquidCrystal.h> // include a library headfile
// LiquidCrystal display with:
// rs on pin 2
// rw on pin 3
// enable on pin 4
// d4, d5, d6, d7 on pins 5, 6, 7, 8
LiquidCrystal lcd(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8);

void setup()
{
lcd.begin(16, 2);
lcd.clear();//clears the LCD and positions the cursor in the upper-left corner
lcd.print(“hello, world!”);// Print a message to the LCD.
lcd.setCursor(2,1); // set to the 3th column and 2nd row
lcd.print(“Seeedstudio”);// Print a message to the LCD.
}

void loop()
{
}[/code]

I’m not sure why BUS2 does not work…maybe it has to do with pin 13 functioning differently on the Mega v. older MCUs?

Rx

I can confirm a non-addressable second row for

• Arduino 0022 on Linux x64
  • using LiquidCrystal.h library
  • on an Arduino UNO board
  • with Electronic Brick Starter Kit shield
  • and a BUS2-connected LCD 16*2 Characters X1 from Electronic Bricks box
  • running the following program from Electronic Bricks Cookbook Vol 1.1 (page 17)

#include <LiquidCrystal.h> // include a library headfile // LiquidCrystal display with: // rs on pin 10 // rw on pin 11 // enable on pin 12 // d4, d5, d6, d7 on pins 13, 14, 15, 16 LiquidCrystal lcd(10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16); void setup() { lcd.clear();//clears the LCD and positions the cursor in the upper-left corner lcd.print("hello, world!");// Print a message to the LCD. lcd.setCursor(2,1); // set to the 3th column and 2nd row lcd.print("Seeedstudio");// Print a message to the LCD. } void loop() { }

Using BUS1 instead of BUS2 and doc’s program and the second row works properly.

Regards,
Atalanttore

What I have tested:

Arduino 0022 on Win7
using LiquidCrystal library came with Arduino software
on an Seeeduino v2.2 board
with Electronic Brick Starter Kit shield
Running the sketch of Display, and change the code as following:

When using BUS1, “LiquidCrystal lcd(2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8);” is used, add “lcd.setCursor(2,1);” after the “lcd.begin(16,2);”, the LCD works fine.

When using BUS2, “LiquidCrystal lcd(10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16);” is used, and add “lcd.setCursor(2,1);” after the “lcd.begin(16,2);”, the LCD works fine as well.

May this helpful to you guys, and I will update the cookbook later.

Regards,
Steve

BUS2 doesn’t work for me.

LCD shield from Electronic Brick Starter Kit connected via BUS2 using
“LiquidCrystal lcd(10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16);” is used, and add “lcd.setCursor(2,1);” after the “lcd.begin(16,2);”,

Regards,
Atalanttore

Do you use the LiquidCrystal library came with Arduino022?Have you tried the different sketch?
Does the first row work well? If yes, it means that the hardware on the Shield side should be ok.

Regards,
Steve

Yes, I use the LiquidCrystal library which came with Arduino 0022. I tried doc’s sketch for BUS1, which works well.
The first row works properly.

Regards,
Atalanttore