Grove 8 Channel SSR

I have a Seeeduino Lotus for my controller and a Grove 8 channel solid state relay. I have the relay connected into the I2C port and can upload the basic sketch to have all the relay LED’s to power on and off. I am simply trying to power a 28V bulb with an external power supply. One wire runs from the power supply to the bulb (+) while the other (-) runs to the relay terminal then to the bulb. When I use the basic sketch though, the LED’s will power, but not the bulb, which tells me the relays aren’t closing. I have tried it on all 8 relays but nothing. Eventually the bulb will be replaced with a pellet dispenser. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am new to working with Arduino etc.

Hi,

The relay connection is like a switch, and it comes between the phase wires. can you check with wires with continuity to ensure the connection is good?

img src: https://media.ncd.io/20170721184101/1-450.gif

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked and continuity is good. Also, if I bypass the relay, essentially connect the wire going into the terminal for the relay then the light comes on. Every now and then I can get the light to activate, but then I cant get it to turn off by terminating it within a sketch. To do so I just have to disconnect the wires from the board.

To turn off and turn on the blub you need to use the Relay module, no need any bypass connections.

That is what I am having trouble with. The relay isn’t cutting the bulb off or on. I’m getting power to the relay according to the onboard LED, but the relay doesn’t appear to be switching.

Here is a very basic example of the sketch I’m using to confirm I can get it to work from which I will expand:

[code]#include <multi_channel_relay.h>

Multi_Channel_Relay relay;

void setup()
{
Serial.begin(9600); //Start serial communication at 9600 BAUD

relay.begin(0x11); //Set I2C address and start relay
}

void loop()
{
relay.channelCtrl(CHANNLE8_BIT);
delay(2000);
relay.channelCtrl(0);
delay(2000);
}[/code]

Hi,

Can you try this example?

[code]#include <multi_channel_relay.h>

/**
channle: 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
state: 0b00000000 -> 0x00 (all off)
state: 0b11111111 -> 0xff (all on)
*/

Multi_Channel_Relay relay;

void setup() {

DEBUG_PRINT.begin(9600);
while (!DEBUG_PRINT);

// Set I2C address and start relay
relay.begin(0x11);

}

void loop() {

relay.channelCtrl(CHANNLE1_BIT |
CHANNLE2_BIT |
CHANNLE3_BIT |
CHANNLE4_BIT |
CHANNLE5_BIT |
CHANNLE6_BIT |
CHANNLE7_BIT |
CHANNLE8_BIT);
DEBUG_PRINT.print("Turn all channels on, State: ");
DEBUG_PRINT.println(relay.getChannelState(), BIN);

delay(1000); //delay one second

relay.channelCtrl(0);
DEBUG_PRINT.print("Turn off all channels, State: ");
DEBUG_PRINT.println(relay.getChannelState(), BIN);

delay(1000); //delay one second

}[/code]

I uploaded the sketch and I’m getting the LED at the relay to blink, but the bulb will not power. Bulb is good as when I bypass the relay and connect all wires directly to bulb everything works. Just can’t get the relays to operate correctly.

You need to use ac voltage to make SSR work, can not be used on DC voltage. As you have discovered, it can turn on but not turn off again.
See the description on this page:

It says: Only works for AC load.