Seeeduino mega v1.23 + arduino ethernet shield + IDE v1.0.1

I’m working with a Seeduino Mega for the extra digital pins, and an Arduino Ethernet shield for the network options.
I can use arduino 0018 and the mods for moved pins and talk to the Ethernet shield just fine, but if I switch to arduino 1.0.1 the spi.h is not there, and cant make mods for the pin changes, which makes me think that is automatic, but it will not “Ethernet.begin(mac)”
I have done a lot of reading and testing, is there something that I must not have come across?
anybody that has more experience that can help, please do so, I have spent an inordinate amount of hours on this problem.
Thanks again.
Wendell

Error message?
Source Code?

thanks for the reply schmron
that is one of the weird parts… Im just running the default example sketch of webclient, and there is no error in compile, no error during run, (even the built in error in the sketch that is supposed to say …“faild to configure ethernet using DHCP” does not display on the serial. I went in and put my own serial print before and after the Ethernet.begin(mac) , it sends the serial println before but not after. It just hangs in IDE version 1.0.1.
when I use the IDE version 0018 I have to change the pins for the ethernet shield in the spi.h but after doing that, the example webclient works fine.
You asked for code, it is the raw code from the examples.
You asked for errors, there arent any.

I will try to include a photo of what Im doing, in a few minutes. … whats the point it works in IDE version 0018…

here is the IDE 1.0.1 code that does NOT work (sans comments)

#include <SPI.h> #include <Ethernet.h> byte mac[] = { 0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED }; IPAddress server(173,194,33,104); // Google EthernetClient client; void setup() { Serial.begin(9600); while (!Serial) {;} // <- I can print to serial here. if (Ethernet.begin(mac) == 0) { Serial.println("Failed to configure Ethernet using DHCP"); // <- never seems to get here. (no output on monitor) for(;;) ; } delay(1000); Serial.println("connecting..."); if (client.connect(server, 80)) { Serial.println("connected"); client.println("GET /search?q=arduino HTTP/1.0"); client.println(); } else { Serial.println("connection failed"); } } void loop(){ if (client.available()) { char c = client.read(); Serial.print(c); } if (!client.connected()) { Serial.println(); Serial.println("disconnecting."); client.stop(); for(;;) ; } }

here is the IDE 0018 that DOES work(after fixing the SPI.h for Mega):

#include <Ethernet.h> byte mac[] = { 0xDE, 0xAD, 0xBE, 0xEF, 0xFE, 0xED }; byte ip[] = { 10, 0, 0, 177 }; byte server[] = { 64, 233, 187, 99 }; // Google Client client(server, 80); void setup(){ Ethernet.begin(mac, ip); Serial.begin(9600); delay(1000); Serial.println("connecting..."); if (client.connect()) { Serial.println("connected"); client.println("GET /search?q=arduino HTTP/1.0"); client.println(); } else { Serial.println("connection failed"); } } void loop(){ if (client.available()) { char c = client.read(); Serial.print(c); } if (!client.connected()) { Serial.println(); Serial.println("disconnecting."); client.stop(); for(;;) ; } }
again there are no error statements at all.
pin hack pinout:
Seed’ -> ard.ether
53 -> 10
52 -> 13
51 -> 11
50 -> 12

thanks for any ideas you may have.

I think the Ethernet Shield don’t get a address from DHCP.
Try to use static IP. If it works, the problem isn’t arduino but your DHCP server