Unable to upload any sketches - Seeeduino film

Hi,

I’m trying to upload the first blink sketch to my new Seeeduino film. I keep getting
the following error:
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

I updated driver, restarted computer, tried to reset it manually random seconds before uploading, checked COM port etc.
I’m on windows 7 64bit. I tried to use about ½ of the different boards listed under the arduino 0022 board menu.

I’m trying to connect using sparkfuns FTDI Basic Breakout - 3.3V.

I’ve been able to connect to uno and duemilanove boards succesfully before.

Any ideas anyone?

Edit:

When I start uploading tx lights blink 3 times on the FTDI board but after that pretty much nothing… No leds blink on the film.

We are sorry for this problem.
Would you please tell us how do you connect FTDI breakout to Seeeduino Film?
And Please select the “Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (3.3V, 8 MHz) w/ ATmega168” in Arduino IDE Board menu.

Please connect as below and test:

FTDI <–>Film main Frame

TX <–> RX
RX <–> TX
GND <–> GND
3.3v <–> VCC
DTR <–> DTR

Thanks
Albert

I connect FTDI breakout and seeduino with Jumper wires and on the Seeeduino film side I also soldered them after the first problems to be sure there are no contact problems. Also the board type you mentioned is one of the types I tested.

That is excatly as it was connected and I also triple checked it now and everything should be ok.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Tuxie

I’ve had exactly the same problem. I have a 5v FTDI Basic breakout board from sparkfun, which i’ve altered to make it a 3.3v breakout board. the light on the breakout baord comes on, but when i connect it as instructed to the seeduino film it give the same error as Tuxie gets. When I press the sleep button when the breakout board is connected, no lights come on on the seeeduino.

Can i connect the battery and only some of the breakout pins to program the thing? It’s really frustrating because it’s the ideal size!

OK, i got this puppy working, it was as simple as using jump wires directly from the ftdi to the board (pin them to a breadboard with the ends) without using breadboard tracks at all. Beauty!

Please refer this page for more information on programming Seeeduino Film - http://garden.seeedstudio.com/index.php?title=Film_and_Frame_Tutorial.
It contains tips on programming Seeeduino Film without soldering with easy breadboard arrangement.

Things to verify:
1.Check if TX, RX, DTR, VCC and GND are connected properly. No need to use battery if powered by 3.3v FTDI breakout board(like UartSBee / UartSBs Frame)
2.In Arduino IDE - Set the board type to Arduino Pro or Pro Mini (3.3V, 8MHz) w/ATmega168

Regards,
Viswa