Xiao not programming

Yea as you can see in the video I linked HERE , It’s NOT any better in 2.0 IDE. Constantly having to re-select the correct board in between compiles and uploads. I too developed some shortcuts to lessen the hassle.
HTH
gl :-p

The situation apparenty got WORSE after board package 1.8.1.

I’m on 1.8.3 now (Arduino IDE 1.8.19 on Windows 10) and I can’t upload ANYTHING on the XIAO, unless I fumble with the reset pads.
Not even the double-tap works, I have to try many times keeping the pads shortened for longer time.

here, stuck at “Uploading” forever…

No problem with any other board, even SAMD51-based (like the M0 Mini)

Please @Baozhu help us… the XIAO is such a fine board (I have tens of them), but it’s unusable now

I can confirm that reverting to Board Package 1.8.1, firmware upload works much better, close to 100% success, tried with 3 different XIAO boards.
So while we wait for Seeed Studio to fix the issue (if ever), I would suggest installing the old v1.8.1 core.

Hi,
Just completed a project using the XIAO and Arduino IDE V2.0.3. I had to revert to Board Package 1.8.1 as I couldn’t upload at all. I got into a kind of rhythm testing, updating code, uploading and re-boot. However, it was basically a painful and frustrating exercise and probably took me twice as long as it would if it worked properly.
Any news from Seeed Studio yet on a fix for this? It makes the board almost unusable which is a real shame.

To repeat the symptoms (if it helps diagnose the problem):

1. Re-boot Windows (I’m on W11) and, as long as you don’t edit too much or start running other apps/software, the XIAO is recognised.
  2. Roughly 90% of the time clicking upload doesn’t work on its own, you have to short the reset pads twice to get into bootloader mode. Frequently that too doesn’t work immediately. It DOES switch to bootloader mode but the IDE has, by then, failed. Clicking upload again usually works.
  3. This process works generally twice in a row. The third time the reset double short causes a rapidly flashing yellow LED and unknown device to Windows - Reboot time.
  4. A small percentage of the time, even after a re-boot, a double short fails to enter bootloader mode - possibly my technique is not good and I just do a reset but I’ve hit times when I’ve tried and had to re-boot 3 or more times before successfully entering bootloader mode.
  5. Another small percentage of the time the device will enter bootloader mode automatically on clicking upload and everything works perfectly. Strangely this seems to be happening more frequently although it’s infrequent enough that might just be my perception.

Notes:

• Generally, when I re-boot, I delete the hidden COM devices from Device Manager as they seem to block the device from working correctly, even after a re-boot.

• I find I have to disconnect and re-connect the XIAO after the re-boot to ensure it works.

• I have an entirely new Mobo/CPU etc. since the first post of this problem so I don’t think it’s hardware.

• I did migrate my Windows installation image rather than re-build though.

• I’ve tried testing various USB ports and USB3 vs USB2.1 ports and found no difference.

It’s a great little device with masses of Flash at a great price so PLEASE make it easier to use!! @Baozhu??

Thanks

I have tried the majority of the suggestions given by the kind and helpful contributors on this forum. thank you very much for help. Sadly, nothing worked for me and I am at a point where I simply cannot upload code to the XIAO. I had purchased 3 of these devices a few years ago but find them basically useless if they cannot be programmed. I will begin using the Qt Py as a replacement as I have had great success with regards to the reliability of the Adafruit offerings. Too bad, I had great hopes for using the 'XIAO.