X86J4105 & serial RS-232 on Linux

Hi,

I’m new to X86J4105 hardware and I have some questions about the availability of a serial RS-232 interface or something that I could use to make the connection of an old APC UPS (with an DB9 RS-232 interface) to the X86J4105 board possible.

What are my best options for connecting the UPS to the X86J4105?

Will I see a /dev/ttyS0 or something similar on the OS (Linux)?

Do I need a additional hardware to connect/convert the 4 pins UART to a RS-232 connector?
Something like this : http://wiki.seeedstudio.com/RS-232_To_TTL_Conveter-MAX3232IDR/

Thanks,
Paulo Carmo

1 Like

@pcarmo dev/ttyS4 are the UART pins on the 40 pin header, the 4 pin header we haven’t worked out what it is yet - see this thread:.

As far as a UPS I would suggest using a USB-Serial dongle with an FTDI chipset that would provide the correct RS232 voltages to the UPS. don’t forget, the standard RS232 is +/- 12 volts and the header pins are at TTL login (+/- 5v) so you can damage them if you hook them up directly.

1 Like

Hello wx4cb,

Thanks for the information. Connecting through USB-Serial converter was an option I was trying to avoid, but nevertheless it is a possible solution.

Concerning the 4 pins header near the 28 pin header I was expecting to be an UART as it writeen in the wiki: http://wiki.seeedstudio.com/ODYSSEY-X86J4105/#pinout-diagram
But I guest if you are point to the other thread is because it is not :slight_smile:

Regards,
Paulo Carmo

@pcarmo

I have finally had a chance to figure it out… the silk screen on the 4 pin header is not correct as per the image

go take a loook here Serial Port device names at what I and @tcbetka figured 0out the past few days.

it’s been acknowledged by seeed that there is an error and should be corrected in the wiki already, but i proved the correct device names.

Basically

SerialUSB is the serial monitor (still has issues sometimes locking up the ide)
“Serial” is the 4 pin header
“Serial1” is the 28 pin header D0/D1
/dev/ttyS4 is the 40 pin header device accessible from linux.
/dev/ttyACM0 is the linux device node that is :“SerialUSB” so Theoretically, you could write SAMD code to use the Serial SUB library and talk to it via /dev/ttyACM0 and still have 3 serial ports available :smiley:

2 Likes