}
} 

void loop() 
{ 
} 

Albert

Ah, I have perhaps been unclear.

Let me restate the problem without code getting the way:

seeeduino can not send bytes properly to irobot Create using hardware serial at 57600 baud, while arduino diecimila can. I have verified this using 2 arduino decimila and 1 seeeduino, and it would indicate the seeeduino has a timing issue that prevents it from being a drop-in replacement for the arduino decimila.

Note that this is the only time I have come across this incompatibility, in other Sketches the seeeduino behaves exactly like an arduino decimila.

So my question is, is there anything in the design of the seeeduino that could cause this incompatbility, or is it simply a case of my particular seeeduino being… less than optimal? Note that I am 99% certain my hardware serial is in no way damaged as it functions perfectly for all other serial based tasks I have been using it for.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve:

We are glad to understand the issue to such detail. I agree with you that there might be some detail that we didn’t aligh 100% with arduino that caused this problem. With your experiment, it is clear that Seeeduino contributes to this compatibility problem. We will dig further to understand the root cause and get it fixed.

Thanks again for lifting this issue!

p,s. the iRobot Create is so…awesome!! I would buy one my self for sure! ;D

No problems. Please let me know (via this thread or my email) if you do discover the root cause.

I am seriously considering it myself…

Cheers,
Steve

Seeeduino did the same error of using the term ICSP as arduino did.
ICSP is the term from Microchip and ISP the Atmel one. A detail but since this interface are incompatible , it should be corrected in the next version and other atmel product.

Thanks Ronan, we will fix it in our next version.

I’ve bought a Seeeduino 1.1 and I really like it. Here is 3 crazy ideas for the next version.

1. Add a 3.3V regulator, so that you can use more energy hungry projects with 3.3 V than the 50mA, the ft232 is capable of supplying.

2. Add a boost regulator, so that you can run the board on two or maybe even one AA battery.

3. If there is enough space left on the PCB, you could add a Xbee socket, so you can program it wirelees like Funnel I/O, but without removing the ft232.

folks,

any experiences upgrading to atmega328??

We are closely checking on ATMEGA328, our distributor notifies me that volume goods will arrive about one month, you will see Seeeduino 2.0 pretty soon! :laughing:

great! keep us posted. I need a few more arduino boards and I’m thinking in getting a seeduino instead, but will wait for the upgrade to 328.

Hi, I noticed in the “What’s new for v2.12” section, that there is now zero external power drain when powered off.

What was the fix?

I have noticed run-down batteries with the v1.1 seeeduino. I am wondering if a fix is possible with the 1.1 version, maybe by re-routing traces, etc.

Maybe I will compare schematics to see if I can identify the fix myself, but would still appreciate any help. I love my seeeduinos - the 3.3v power option has helped me out with my LCD project considerably since I don’t have to do any voltage conversion on the I/O pins.

I am looking forward to purchasing a couple v2.12 units when they become available.
Thanks,
-Clint

Hi Clint,
When change the component “USB_POWER_EXT” from SPDT to DPDT to fix zero external power drain when powered off.
And v328 will be released with atmega328 MCU. :smiley:
Seeeduino Mega is coming soon :astonished:
Thanks
Albert

Thank you Albert! That makes sense to simply turn off the 9v source.

I look forward to v328 and the Seeeduino Mega.

Is there a reason why the Digital 8-13+Gnd+Aref female headers on the 2.12 board do not fit a 100mil grid? The analog headers fit, and so do Digital 0-7, but it looks like the 8-13 set was pushed aside by the C12 space (which is empty on my board).

This is definitely something to fix on your 328 & future boards.

do you not have the regular arduino pins on the board, just not with female headers on them?

the seeeduino’s have standard spacing as well as the arduino spacing so that you can still use them with arduino shields.

should be described as point #1 under “what has changed” here

nickdigger,

This is the “Standard Arduino Spacing”, the space between the two 8-rows is not 100mil.

A lot of people complains about that, so Seeed guys gracefully put a 100mil spaced pads
aside the “Officially Spaced” connectors.

You can then solder your own femal connectors along the existing ones to match your
prototyping board spacing.

Cheers

So which spacing is “standard”? The female, or the bare holes? Whoever designed it, it doesnt make sense for them to be misaligned that way. It doesnt ultimately matter for my application, since I will be soldering them anyways; but it was a pain to test without a male plug.

My biggest complaint is, a few days after i ordered mine, the dealer (NKC) switched stock to v328, so i’m stuck with the old one & already running out of memory. :angry: :angry:

Having just burn my finger on a project I have been trying to find a schematic/manual for my board to verify which power pins are actually connected to which parts of the circuit. All the links I find only cover the older 168 design. I clearly have something confused, but a diagram would be very helpful

rich, as far as I know and can see from comparing the Seeeduino v2.12 and Seeeduino v328 PCBs they are the same with two exceptions:

1. v2.12 comes with an ATmega168 while v328 comes with an ATmega328
  2. The silkscreen is slightly different - on v2.12 it says v2.12 24/042009 while on v328 it says v328 06/23/2009

Check the schematics for the v2.12 - NKC electronics, Seeedstudios U.S. distributor refers to them in their v328 product description:

Seeeduino v2.12 schematics
Seeeduino v2.12 PCB

P.S. you will need Eagle CAD (freeware version suffices) to view and print the schematics and PCB files.

I had already looked at those before I asked my question. As they claim to be open source, and things appear to really be so. I would assume they exist, and since I have a large blister on my finger there is a clearly a problem with my understanding :blush: :cry: . So I ask again for where the actual schematic and documentation resides.