Support Thread for Seeeduino

Any notification after you install the hardware? Does the leds on board lit?

Please try the newest driver for vista support: ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM%202.04.14.zip
And Linux version: ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP/Lin … sio.tar.gz

This post might be of help: arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB … 27655095/3

Thanks! :slight_smile:

I’ve solved it - the middle pin on the mini usb port of the seeduino was flatter than the others, using a pin I managed to bend it to be the same shape as the others, connect is still a bit hit and miss but is a lot better ( 9 out of 10 rather that 1 out of 10 ).

thanks for your all your help ESP.

and for anyone who is wondering the seeeduino does work with eeebuntu without any hassle ( as long you don’t have problems with the usb port that is!!! )

Dikkie - this is a cause we have never thought about… Glad to hear that you have resolved it. Thank you for all the efforts to isolate the problem and clarify with us!

G’day All,

I have been trying to get my seeeduino to talk to a iRobot Create (basically a roomba with the cleaning part ripped out, and catered to hobbyists), with the following code:

void drop_baud_rate()
{
  int brcPin = 7;
  pinMode(brcPin, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(brcPin, HIGH);
  delay(2000);
  for(int i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
  { 
    delay(100);
    digitalWrite(brcPin, LOW);
    delay(100);
  }
}

void enter_full_mode()
{
  int ledPin = 13;    
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);  
  Serial.print(128, BYTE);  // START
  delay(50);
  Serial.print(132, BYTE);  // CONTROL
  delay(50);
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
}

void setup() 
{ 
  drop_baud_rate();
  delay(4000);
  Serial.begin(19200);

enter_full_mode();

int bytes[]={139, 2, 0, 0 };

for(int i=0; i < sizeof(bytes)/sizeof(int); ++i)
  {
    Serial.print(bytes[i], BYTE);
  }
} 

void loop() 
{ 
} 

The code above first tells the Create to drop baud rate to 19200 from 57600, then after waiting for a little, tells the Create to enter full user controlled mode and then turns the play LED on.

Now if I load the above code without the drop_baud_rate() call on my seeeduino, the Create doesn’t get the bytes properly, and the play LED never comes on. With the drop_baud_rate() call however, the play LED comes on as expected. The strange thing is on a Arduino Duemilanove the code works reliably without the drop_baud_rate() call, suggesting that the seeeduino suffers from a timing problems which isn’t present on the Duemilanove.

I am not sure what would cause this, and I would like to ideally not have to drop the baud rate down to 19200. Is there anything in the seeeduino’s design that would cause its UART to fail to operate at 57600 baud? It seems like there is something in the seeeduino’s design that is causing slight timing issues which is ruining serial communication.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve

We have test the serial communication.It’s work well.

Try this code

void drop_baud_rate()
{
  int brcPin = 7;
  pinMode(brcPin, OUTPUT);
  delay(2000);
  for(int i = 0; i < 3; ++i)
  { 
    delay(100);
    digitalWrite(brcPin, LOW);
    delay(100);
  }
}

void enter_full_mode()
{
  int ledPin = 13;    
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);  
  Serial.println(128, DEC);  // START
  delay(50);
  Serial.println(132, DEC);  // CONTROL
  delay(50);
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);
}

void setup() 
{ 
  drop_baud_rate();
  delay(4000);
  Serial.begin(19200);

enter_full_mode();

for(int i=0; i < sizeof(bytes)/sizeof(int); ++i)
  {
    Serial.println(bytes[i], DEC);
  }
} 

void loop() 
{ 
} 

Got the data you expect,right?

Albert

Yep, the data is exactly as expected.

I do not believe it is a problem with the code, since

1. the code works exactly as expected
  2. the exact same code works fine on an official arduino without needing drop_baud_rate() being called.

The only issue is the fact I can not communicate properly at 57600 baud rate, while an official arduino can. I can only attribute this to a timing issue - either with the seeeduino, or the particular arduino board I was testing with. I will try with yet another arduino board to confirm it is a seeeduino only problem. It is entirely possible the arduino board, not seeeduino, is the anomaly.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi,
Perbaps this code can work well:

void setup() 
{ 
  Serial.begin(57600);
  for(int i=0; i <4; ++i)
  {
    Serial.println(bytes[i],DEC);
  }
} 

void loop() 
{ 
} 

Albert

Ah, I have perhaps been unclear.

Let me restate the problem without code getting the way:

seeeduino can not send bytes properly to irobot Create using hardware serial at 57600 baud, while arduino diecimila can. I have verified this using 2 arduino decimila and 1 seeeduino, and it would indicate the seeeduino has a timing issue that prevents it from being a drop-in replacement for the arduino decimila.

Note that this is the only time I have come across this incompatibility, in other Sketches the seeeduino behaves exactly like an arduino decimila.

So my question is, is there anything in the design of the seeeduino that could cause this incompatbility, or is it simply a case of my particular seeeduino being… less than optimal? Note that I am 99% certain my hardware serial is in no way damaged as it functions perfectly for all other serial based tasks I have been using it for.

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Steve:

We are glad to understand the issue to such detail. I agree with you that there might be some detail that we didn’t aligh 100% with arduino that caused this problem. With your experiment, it is clear that Seeeduino contributes to this compatibility problem. We will dig further to understand the root cause and get it fixed.

Thanks again for lifting this issue!

p,s. the iRobot Create is so…awesome!! I would buy one my self for sure! ;D

No problems. Please let me know (via this thread or my email) if you do discover the root cause.

I am seriously considering it myself…

Cheers,
Steve

Seeeduino did the same error of using the term ICSP as arduino did.
ICSP is the term from Microchip and ISP the Atmel one. A detail but since this interface are incompatible , it should be corrected in the next version and other atmel product.

Thanks Ronan, we will fix it in our next version.

I’ve bought a Seeeduino 1.1 and I really like it. Here is 3 crazy ideas for the next version.

1. Add a 3.3V regulator, so that you can use more energy hungry projects with 3.3 V than the 50mA, the ft232 is capable of supplying.

2. Add a boost regulator, so that you can run the board on two or maybe even one AA battery.

3. If there is enough space left on the PCB, you could add a Xbee socket, so you can program it wirelees like Funnel I/O, but without removing the ft232.

folks,

any experiences upgrading to atmega328??

We are closely checking on ATMEGA328, our distributor notifies me that volume goods will arrive about one month, you will see Seeeduino 2.0 pretty soon! :laughing:

great! keep us posted. I need a few more arduino boards and I’m thinking in getting a seeduino instead, but will wait for the upgrade to 328.

Hi, I noticed in the “What’s new for v2.12” section, that there is now zero external power drain when powered off.

What was the fix?

I have noticed run-down batteries with the v1.1 seeeduino. I am wondering if a fix is possible with the 1.1 version, maybe by re-routing traces, etc.

Maybe I will compare schematics to see if I can identify the fix myself, but would still appreciate any help. I love my seeeduinos - the 3.3v power option has helped me out with my LCD project considerably since I don’t have to do any voltage conversion on the I/O pins.

I am looking forward to purchasing a couple v2.12 units when they become available.
Thanks,
-Clint

Hi Clint,
When change the component “USB_POWER_EXT” from SPDT to DPDT to fix zero external power drain when powered off.
And v328 will be released with atmega328 MCU. :smiley:
Seeeduino Mega is coming soon :astonished:
Thanks
Albert

Thank you Albert! That makes sense to simply turn off the 9v source.

I look forward to v328 and the Seeeduino Mega.