Mini Wifi-PWM-DIO-SoundBoard

Hey, I need an mini Wifi-able Board with following conditions.

1. need to be able to drive an small motor (not sure how much, but 4A should be ok) DRV8411 Datenblatt, Produktinformationen und Support | TI.com
  2. need to be able to play sounds 4Ohm Speaker (1 channel) https://www.mouser.de/datasheet/2/115/PAM8403-2998553.pdf
  3. need to be able to controll at minimum 7 LEDs (expandable) => https://cdn-reichelt.de/documents/datenblatt/A200/LB649629.pdf
  4. need to be able to run of Battery & check it
  5. need to be able to read InfraRedSensor and an ReedSensor.
  6. Circuit needs to be as small as possible (if current one is correct, it fits 20x51mm)

Therefore I think I can use the SeedStudio XIAO ESP32S3 (due to its small Size). With the dual Core, I can have one for the sounds, rest for the IO. Getting Started with Seeed Studio XIAO ESP32S3 (Sense) | Seeed Studio Wiki

Since size is an issue, I removed the Resistor of the LEDs. Theese will be placed in the cable to the LED (and IR, LED). Also the Sensors are placed elsewhere (and routed with wire). Same goes for speaker and Motor. The J2 is planned as an Expansionslot (If I have more space and need more Outputs, I can simply add another 8 with another SR in series.

Can you help me checking the Schematic for errors? I got the current layouts from different websites and/or Datasheets, but I’m not confident with the correctness of my Layout.

Thanks RPGFabi

Hi there,

Are you planning on making a PCB with this?
have you bread board tested the circuits?
Xiao ESP32S3 is a good choice, However the dual cores don’t really work that way.
Do you have code to support this Device?
The components look fine, WHy so much drive or switching on the LED’s?
So is the total size is 20 x 50 mm?
Is that the case or the board dimensions?
Check out the Post I put up on a PC board for xiao,

HTH
GL :slight_smile: PJ
:v:

Thanks for your answer.

Yes, I plan on creating PCBs with this and no, currently I have no test-Circuit (except the Shift-Register), since I wanted to theoretically have it working before ordering parts.

Idk what you mean with Code for this device. If you mean if I have coded something, I didn,t. This will be done when HW is done.

The thing with the drive is also kinda unclear. I need to be able to drive an motor (have no data on the specs), so I searched for Drivers and found the 4A one. I then thought it should be ok. Each LED-Output needs to work with 2-4 LEDs. I thought 80mA is way to much for the ESP, so a mosfet will do.

The total size needs to be as small as possible. I dont know exact dimensions it needs to be, but what I currently checked it needs to be about 22mm wide. Height is also an issue (as small as possible). My current PCB-Design is 19x51mm, but either I solder SMD components by hand or I can’t solder the bottom Battery connector of the ESP. If I reduce the labeling (or moove it to the other side, I may can get 5mm in the length to be removed, but thats another issue. Maybe I also don’t need an adjustable audio amplifier, which removes the potentiometer, but that will be Rev2 or so.

For Mounting the Board I can use either clips or “glue”, since there is no space for mounting equipment.

Here is the underside of the Board

Sorry for the third answer. @PJ_Glasso I see, that you have an Footrpint with an plated hole for the BatteryPin, which looks like it makes it easier to solder with an iron and no reflow plate. Is it possible to get that footprint?

Hi there,
No worries,
I used easyeda and loaded the Xiao from there, footprint came with it
from the Sales page grab this file it has it inside is what I used.
I will try and export it to a file and attach it here.
OK,
made a chip only board, and exported it to zip.
You can extract it , then open it with EasyEDA online.
HTH
PCB_PCB_Chip-only_2024-05-22

SCH_Chip-only_2024-05-22.zip (5.5 KB)

Hi there,
Looks thin :slight_smile: Nice!
You can always use the Grove Expansion Board Files from the sales page too.
but looks like you are pretty well good.
HTH

Hi there,
WOW, looks packed…LOL
I hear you on the drive current too, I think its 20 or 40ma. is the MAX?
mosfet is the truth though. I’m using a pair in darlington config to drive a solenoid from Xiao on one board.(see Q1, Q2) Works great.
I ordered the SMD version built and hand soldered the Xiao when the boards arrived.

this one has RTC and buzzer on it.

Well, Thank you. Now I just need to convert it to KiCad.

Hi there,
So why not use the Bridged mode, it’s only a slight change to the PCB and a resistor?
"This mode can deliver the full functionality of the BDC motor control with all four modes (forward, reverse, coast,and brake mode).

from
TI-_DRV8411_DS

You are not using a stepper motor I take it?

Thought about that and it is a small change, but I was sure I won’t need it. But having it may be better than being false with my assumption.

I redid the PCB :smiley:

1. Implemented DualChannel MotorDriver
  2. Implemented new Footprint (THT for Battery). I couldnt Import EasyEDA Footprint to Kicad, but an oval hole with 1.3x2.5mm should be enough
  3. Removed the Adjustable Audo amplifier (=> theoretically I can replace the 18k resistor with an bigger one) since I thought it may be an cool option but it was not needed from the beginning.
  4. Reworked both Sides of the PCB => 19x42.5mm now. I still think smaller would be possible (maybe under 40mm?)

And the other side

1 Like