DSO203 GCC APP - Community Edition (2.51+SmTech1.8+Fixes)

You can’t use hex notation, the file has to be in binary form. You can create a binary file with a hex editor,

or convert a hex notation text file to a binary file with a hex to bin converter.

Actually, I had in mind to use a hex text file as source when I first thought this out, but wound up using

bin files instead. Might at some point add the ability to read hex files as input to the generator.

Dear borland:

Thanks for your information. After I re-format the disk in windows 7, now the saved bitmap can be viewed in windows 7, even in linux.

Very appreciated for your information.

I’m sorry for the trouble, this version needs a bit more longer press for chart than v3, also it beeps for medium press, I was releasing after the beep… lame me!

V4.4

Added Averaging and Oversampling single window buffer modes. Both use all 4096 samples to display in a single

frame - an 8x increase in sampling resolution.

Averaging mode filters high frequency response above the bandwidth of the selected timebase:

Produces very clean, jitter free waveforms with minimal noise. Minimizes aliasing in FFT/Spectrograph modes.

Oversampling mode extends high frequency response of waveforms for a given timebase, minimizes waveform aliasing

and eliminates jitter. Use to display high frequency content above the timebase limit.

Both modes active for all timebases 5uS/div and slower (faster timebases are already at maximum sampling rates).

Select with right toggle center button:

Normal single frame buffer > Averaging single frame buffer > Oversampling single frame buffer > Normal large buffer

Notification area background frame color changes from white to orange while in either of these new modes with interior

green in Averaging or red in Oversampling as an indicator.

Some restrictions in these modes: Digital channels are disabled, since the additional data is stored in the digital buffers.

Also, when TRoff (scan), XY or detector modes are used, either buffer mode functions as regular single window

without averaging/oversampling. FFT/Spectrograph use averaging in both modes.

Also updated Chart mode and TrOFF(scan): Xpos has been disabled in all but long buffer chart mode. Chart reset and

initiation has been improved and time base and mode changes made less disruptive. In long buffer mode chart window

will scroll when sampling reaches to the right. Shifting XPOS back to view buffer will stop the window scrolling,

shifting it forward to the advancing sampling position will allow it to resume.

Added invert function to the analog channels: Shift Ch source OFF > CH(A) > CH A(inv) > CH A10x > CH A 10x(inv).

Note that in this mode any preamp clipping at top or bottom will now be visible since the waveform is inverted.

Restricted some alternate button 5 and 6 center press functions to work only when menu is on relevant selection,

allowing normal function to operate and improved BUF file functionality when reloading. (See Readme.txt changelog

for more info on this + other updates) .

Included is a 3 slot version that can be used for compatibility with Gabonator’s program. Note that at this point I have

not had the time to extensively test that version. The code is basically the same, but frame rate will be slower and there may be some issues due to the lack of speed optimization.

6.6KHz to 25KHz slow sine wave sweep from internal generator. Left shows regular buffer display

consisting of aliased waveforms. Right is with same settings and OS buffer.

Amplitude modulated 3.2MHz signal from transmitter, left without, and right with OS. While 8x

ovesampling will not properly display ALL frequencies above a selected timebase limit, it will display

most.

Frequency spectrum of square wave, right screenshot with OS is much cleaner.

EDIT: Updated archive with added support for HW 2.81 devices with SYS 1.64 . Version is same as posted in “Test2.zip”

a couple of pages further in the forum with the exception of a minor fix (fixes loaded configs not always restoring saved chA and B status if loaded while XY mode is active).

Thanks again for all your hardwork and expertise, Wildcat.

But I just installed the new app1.hex and now I can’t get past the splash screen.

Also, I get a USB not recognized error message when I turn on the DSO while connected to the computer.

When I reinstall the app1. hex for the 4.3 version, everything is fine again.

I have tried reformatting the 8mb disk prior to installing the new app1.hex but this doesn’t work.

Any suggestions?

I have hardware version 2.81

I installed Wildcat 4.4 on my hardware version 2.81 without any problems. The app1.hex is copied to the DFU drive, so reformatting the flash drive shouldn’t make any difference for installing the update. Did you try the shorter 3-slot version provided in the folder named “3 SLOT VERSION”?

Thanks, Borland.

That did the trick.

The 3 slot version is a lower in performance version that is meant to be compatible with Gabonator’s program. I would

only recommend it being used for that purpose. It’s also lacking a few minor functions I had to delete to get it to fit.

If anyone is having problems loading the 424KB main version please let me know. This should be compatible with all hardware, including V2.81 and older versions, PAWN and Alterbios, same as with the V4.3 version.

Well, I’m having issues with the main hex file, not the one in the 3 slot folder. The hex in the 3 slot folder works for me.

Again, for whatever reason, the main hex file doesn’t work. I get stuck on a generic splash screen (does not say anything about any version) and nothing else happens. And after the hex has been installed, what I notice is that I can’t connect to the 8mb disk via USB either. That is the reason I tried formatting prior to re-installing the hex that doesn’t work.

That’s strange. The code for both versions is exactly the same, save for a couple of lines I removed in the 3 slot version,

which I can’t imagine could cause any problems.

The larger version maps the program to a different part of the ROM, but to the same place as V4.3, it just has a bit more

code at the end, but well short of the V2.81 FPGA.

I just downloaded the post and loaded the main hex to one of my devices just to make sure , and everything worked OK.

However, all of my devices are HW 2.72.

Borland, you stated you loaded the program on your V2.81 device with no problems, did you try to load the main

version, or just the 3 slot version as you suggested?

Has anyone else successfully loaded the main version on HW2.81? I double checked the memory mapping, and can’t

imagine any reason it would not work. Perhaps a corrupted file?

FYI:

The app1.hex in the main folder is 424kb

The app1.hex file in the 3 slot folder is 271kb.

I don’t need higher performance and am fine with the update as is (INVERT function HURRAY!) but I figure if I am having this issue others probably will too.

What I’d focus on is this: Why do I lose the ability to connect to the 8mb disk after I install the main hex file? My computer gives me a connectivitiy error message when I turn on the DSO.

I tried both 4 and 3 slot programs on my HW V2.81 with no problems. I’m also running SYS version 1.62 which was installed on the device when it was shipped from the factory.

Was thinking if he loaded the 3 slot first, that might somehow free up his corrupted device for subsequently reloading your 4 slot (larger) program. If that works and he still can’t safely reformat his 8GB flash drive due to connectivity problems, then he must have a corrupted operating system or older version than SYS version 1.62.

Your HW 2.72 has 8GB flash drive too, same as HW 2.81.

I take it you are NOT having problems connecting to the drive with the 3 slot version?

If the device is not booting up properly, it’s no surprise you can’t access the drive.

I just checked the RAM mappings, and the main version does use a bit more RAM than the 3 slot version. I would like to

verify the problem exists with another device first just to make sure, but my guess at this point would be that the

operating system used with HW 2.81 uses RAM memory differently than the previous versions, and the larger version

overwrites part of the code, and since one of the functions of the OS is to provide disk access then this is why it fails.

I can see if I can’t trim the RAM footprint back, say to the level of the 3 slot version, which, if this is the problem

should solve it, but would like to verify with another device first just to make sure…

Actually, my devices are HW V2.70, I mistakenly quoted 2.72…

So we can then verify that the main version DOES work with HW2.81, at least with SYS V1.62. I have seen reference

to SYS versions up to V1.64 on the Minidso site, don’t know what version wotsac has.

I am also assuming at this point that problems accessing his drive only occurred when the device failed to boot up

properly, after loading the main file, which would explain the disk access issues.

Wildcat:

Your assumptions are correct.

But take note: I don’t have an older I have a new system version. I have sys 1.64. Is there a way I can install the 1.62?

I have tried copying the main app1.hex again, and I still have the same problem.

But when I look at the files on that disk (the disk you copy the hex files into, the disk you get access to when you hold down button 1 while turning the DSO on), I see an “app1.err” file. Whereas, after I install the app1 from the 3 slot folder I get an “app1.rdy” file

I’ve attached 1.62. I previously downloaded it from the wiki page…

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/DSO_Qua … mware_List”>http://www.seeedstudio.com/wiki/DSO_Quad:Upgrading_Firmware#Firmware_List</LINK_TEXT>

You just drag or copy the SYS file to the DFU drive… same as for installing the app.

I have also successfully installed Wildcat 4.4 on HW 2.72 w/ SYS 1.60. Performance seems the same as HW 2.81.

Installed. But I have the same problem even with the system version 1.62.

Hmm.

Sorry about that. At least now we know it’s not the SYS playing tricks. At least you can use the 3 slot version until Wildcat finds a solution. I’d be afraid to recommend that you re-flash the FPGA.

The error occurs when you are flashing the hex file, so I suspect the problem is with the DFU used with SYS 1.64 and

the program just running out of memory.

At this point I would have say compatibility for the large speed optimized version V4.4 as it stands ends after SYS 1.62

and the DFU (boot and flash loader) that comes with it. I can try to trim RAM and/or ROM down since I at least know the amount used in V4.3 works with SYS 1.64 and it’s DFU, and post a test version.

Just to add… on my HW 2.81 w/SYS 1.62, when I boot the device in DFU mode, the LCD displays “Device Firmware Upgrade V3.40C”.