[DSO nano v3] Where did the SD card reader go in V3 ?

Please see my sticky post about firmware upgrades which tries to explain this a bit. Although it might need some updates in light of this new information.

Since you have opened your Nano, are you also proficient enough to connect a serial UART and suck out the original firmware using for example stm32flash? It would be helpful for others to have this firmware available. One could hope that Seeedstudio could provide this but I would not hold my breath. They seem pretty clueless about what they are selling and are probably as surprised as us as to what is going on. The devices are designed by another company (e-design) but their information (and forum) is only in Chinese: minidso.com/bbs/index.php

It will certainly help me, and possibly others that change the firmware without reading this post, as I did not find anything about the “real” V3 elsewhere.

… and I’m still waiting for a reply from tech support.

Now, to look also at the bright side of things, I’ve already used this small cute little device for my project; I did hit a dead end before getting it, now I’m back on track. The only downside so far (annoying, frustrating, but not blocking) is that I cannot post my findings easily to another forum I’m on (I wanted to post the signals I’m measuring); I know, I can take a photo of the screen, but it certainly isn’t “professional”…

Right… Happy to try and grab the firmware, but might need some help!!!

Do I do this over the mini USB connection? or do I have to connect to the RX,TX connections on the board? I could probably try and solder a pin header onto these 3 and connect to serial adaptor!

DSC00429.JPG

I have already a USB-TTL adaptor - One I hacked togeather from a Nokia CA-42 generic cable.
and one of these: seeedstudio.com/depot/ft2232 … th=175_177

If you can give me a bit of a step by step, then I’ll try and get the firmware for you… and learn some things at the same time :slight_smile:

Here’s pics of my V2 bootloader. It’s the same as the pics posted on page 2. I’d say BenF should work fine on it, as long as you use the correct version(the ones in HEX format, flashed by copying one at a time in DFU mode. Here’s a link so you don’t have to search: dl.dropbox.com/u/21284412/BenF364_LIB353.zip).

Based on the size of the ramdisk, it seems like the drive showing in regular mode is the 16Mbit flash chip, and the ramdisk in DFU mode is still the same as V2s and “standard” V3s.

nanodfu.png
20130406_005545.jpg

I’d love to, but I don’t have enough insight on this, and I’d hate see you ruin your Nano, so I’ll let those more experienced than me do this.

I can confirm the BenF firmware is working fine. It’s just not accessing that 2Mb chip and keeps trying to locate the SD card.

Hmm. The only way I could get BenF to find my SDCard was to use the Samsung SDCard Formatter Utility. Windows and Linux formatting wouldn’t work for me, kept getting SD Err when I tried to save. I wonder if you could get it to work the same way, by connecting to usb and formatting with the utility. I think it would be safe, assuming there’s nothing on the drive currently, which there doesn’t seem to be, from the screenshots. I’d try the formatter and see if BenF saves to it then. It certainly seems to use the same software/hardware address as the missing SDcard slot. Link for your convenience: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/eula_windows/

No… it’s not that. There is NO card reader in the V3. I mean phisycally; it’s just not there; see the pics in the first posts.

I know that. It’s me, eric25. I’ve been following this thread since you started it. Now, back to my point. The 2MB flash chip shows up through the same hardware channel in windows as my SD card does, the STM32 USB controller, meaning it’s using the same channels as my SD Card slot. My SD card can only be read in BenF when I use that formatter utility. If I format it through the Nano itself, using a USB cable, or by taking the card out and using a separate card reader, it still works the same way. If your flash chip is on the same channel, BenF should call it the same way, and the formatter utility should prep it the same way.

Just try it and stop assuming I don’t know what you’re talking about. The way it’s addressed, it shouldn’t be able to do any damage, at least. :wink:
https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_3/eula_windows/

P.S. Totally didn’t want that to sound flamey, just trying to say you’ve been very detailed in your descriptions, I’d have to be an absolute idiot to think you had an SDcard slot at this point… :slight_smile:

Sorry for the misunderstanding; if I get this right, you’re saying that I should try to “format” the 2Mb chip drive using the formatter utility, and then BenF firmware should be able to use it, right ?

One question first, is the exact error “SD Err” in BenF when you try to save? If it’s “SD Err”, I think it will work. If the error is “No Card”, then it probably won’t work, but may still be worth a try.

Just curious if you heard anything back from support?
I figure before I do any mods which would prevent me from returning the unit, I will raise a support ticket and see what seeed say about the device not including an micro sd card slot as advertised.
Thanks for the update!

The error is “No Card”, and yes, it doesn’t work, as you expected. Did not hurt to try, but, unfortunately, no change. As one of my favorite movie characters would put it, “our situation has not improved”…

zero… zip… nada… nothing… rest assured, if I ever get an answer, I will post here asap.

Noticed one strange thing last night.

Tried to save a hard copy of the screen, got the “no card” error.
Tried to save a profile, it said “ok”; wonder where it’s saved …

Meanwhile, I’ve ordered a micro SD hinged slot; thought I’d give it a try …

You probably saved it to “flash”, which is the profile it uses when it powers on. It saves to the stm32 itself. If you arrow over to change from flash to 001.cfg, etc, it will try to save to sd card. Card slot is worth a shot, but you may try to do a bit of tracing on the flash chip and make sure it doesn’t use the same pins on the stm32. Still, even if it does, it shouldn’t fry anything, but neither card slot nor flash chip will work with both installed at the same time, most likely. I’ll be excited to see the results. If they share, I’d also be interested to see if removing the flash chip would allow the card slot to work.

Ok, small update folks…

I got a response from techsupport as follows:

“Sorry for the inconvenience to you!
The DSO Nano we are shipping is a newer version with build-in storage and new app, of this version of DSO Nano, you could also save waveform, the manual is in its product page(seeedstudio.com/depot/dso-na … ?cPath=174)
Regards,
Deray”

I also looked at the manual and it now lists:
Waveform Storage 2Mbyte

So yeah, feel a little dupped now, because even the product pages still lists it as micro SD support…

Almost same reply here…

But that does not solve my problem.

Morning update; I’ve managed to get access to the www.minidso.com forum (google translate rules!) and posted there asking for help; this morning I was surprised to see a reply to my message with links to the 4.20 firmware.

Unfortunately, it still doesn’t work, but these guys were a lot more quicker to reply than Seeed’s support; I hope to be able to get my hands on the V4.00 (the original) firmware, so I can test.

In the meanwhile, I’m getting the hinged card slot today… I’m still wondering if it will work to solder it in and just use BenF firmware. I think I’ll give it a shot; judging by the bits of information I’ve got this far, most probable worst case scenario is it wont’ work, but I won’t completely brick it.