DSO firmware version 3.0

I don’t have access to a V2, but I didn’t expect it to make a difference in this respect.

Are you able to format and read/write from/to the CD card while the card is inserted in the DSO Nano? What about the other file functions? Can you save/load reference files or save/load profiles?

Unfortunately a number of physical changes would need to be implemented to allow this to happen that would require a rework of the pcb

1 the fout pin is currently passed through a digital buffer 
2 the processor would need to be replaced with a higher spec device (perhaps with library ramifications)
3 the fout pin is not one of the DAC pins on the processor as these pins are being used for the keyboard at the moment

Hi Folks,

Im new to the Nano and these forums. Sorry if my q’s are somewhat green. I just rec’d a Nano V2 and have a few questions:

• will this firmware work for V2
  • do I need a micro SD card in the unit for it to work (or is just for related features of the software).
  • when using the upgrade tool it mentions that it has to be done for the App and DFU file. Do you simply run through the flash procedure the same way 2x’s - just selecting each file through each iteration? If so, which one is done first? (the PDF guide published is not clear on this).

Thx.

Absolutely fine. Ben is developing it on a V1, but there are practically no internal hw differences.

No. Only for saving screenshots etc.

Correct. The order does not matter.

Yes i can read/write format the SD card when is in the DSO.

No file function are working … only save profile in the DSO Flash.

Thanks @Tormod. Flashing went find. The new firmware is much more intuitive. Thx @BenF. Now I just need to find a supported microsd card. Anyone buy/know of any of the ones on dealextreme.com that support SPI mode? Their specs dont say.

One more thing you could try is to download and run “sdformatter” (search with google). This is a utility program you can use to completely re-initialize and format your SD card (remember to copy the sample files onto the card after format).

BenF,

Is there a way to calibrate the DSO Nano? I am using it to measure some DC voltages and it reads 80mV when the test lead is grounded or open.

Great work with the firmware.

-tconrad

I’m having almost the same issue. With the probe connected, or not; when turning on the DSO, it quickly goes -40mV, then stays on -80mV seemingly forever. I don’t recall the original firmware doing this. Will have to check…

-Tomas

[edit: I have a V2]

Hi,

Your firmware is great! I am looking for one function only: how to calibrate the scope and how to stor the settings for next switch on?
My hardware is not calibrated: it shows 4Vpp squarewave generated from 3.7V battery…

What was the point of rewriting the library if the source code is unreleased for general usage as it does nothing to help any other developer either as a learning aid or to enable further development.

Perhaps Seeed should pay BenF and acquire the source code so that the Nano can truly become open source.

If Seeed would have GPL-licensed their original open-source code, we would not had all these different closed-source derivatives… Of course, for many end-users, a nicely working closed binary is more important than having the source code. But over time, I think open-source (with proper copyright and licensing) pays off for everybody.

EDIT: I checked the source code, and it is copyrighted to e-Design Co.,Ltd. I do not know if they anywhere have allowed other people to copy, modify it and redistribute (binary or source) derivative works.

EDIT2: There is a MIT license on code.google.com/p/dsonano/ so if the code is taken from there I guess it is licensed under those conditions. You basically have to distribute the license together with your version of the software.

No one can really check if he has written the version from scratch because it is still unreleased (he says he did, but that is only his word). One think you can check is the fact that he uses his own copyright (it is displayed all over when you start up). Probably he also put his copyright on a lot of Seed’s open source work which isn’t very nice to begin with.

Hmm, let me guess… Fix bugs?

Regardless of whether we like it or not the licence gives him the right to keep a private branch. One thing is certain however: writing less than nice things about his work is not going to help.

I for one would be really happy if he releases it in some form or another but in the meantime I am extremely happy for all his enhancements!

+1

Licensing and copyright are not straight forward topics. Give BenF time to sort it out. If I were BenF, I would publish the source code under a license so that other people can not distribute closed-source derivatives of it, but are forced to publish their enhanced code. But the one who writes the code is the one to decide! On the other hand it would be good if he would be clear about it if he does not intend to publish the code, so that we can move on.

I read somewhere that the ARM that the DSO Nano runs on has a dual fast interleaved mode, that could ramp up the 1Ms/s to 2Ms/s through the firmware. Has anyone else read this or experienced anything regarding this dual fast interleaved mode, or any implementation thereof?

The code was released under MIT license, authorized by e-design lead by Mr. Cai Xiao Guang. IMHO, the licenses are voluntary, we prefer to hug any improvements from any form. Only objection would be misspelling Seeed as seed :wink:

It appears that BenF’s source code conversion to other compilers has been solved as discussed in topics such as viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1728&hilit=git&start=10

Perhaps tormod would repost the link to his git repository here.

A lot of time has passed and maybe now BenF would report his general intentions about future open source code releases or his intent not to release future open source code revisions. Whether BenF provides future open source code or not, we all owe him our gratitude for the excellent binaries that he has provided since V3.0 :smiley:

Seeed received a copy of version 3.11 for IAR4 sometime last fall and I also gave them an update a month or so ago. The latest update is a port of v3.11 (now 3.13) to IAR 6.1 with a more streamlined/portable APP/LIB interface. Seeed is free to use either of these copies any way they see fit with no strings attached whatsoever. If and how these versions will be distributed is entirely up to Seeed. Beyond this I have no plans towards releasing additional source here or elsewhere.

I’m happy to take part in discussions on using the Nano as a measurement tool and contribute anyway I can to improve it further as such. Supporting “wannabe” programmers however is beyond my capacity and perhaps others can pick up this challenge.